DBRPR on 9.1D database with large files enabled

FocusIT

Hi all.

I am trying to run dbrpr against a 9.1D database with large files enabled and one or more extents over 2GB. Before the menu even presents itself I get and error stating 'Invalid file size for Extent X¿¼ of Area IDXDT'. The rest of DBRPR then fails to run. I can run it successfully against other databases with large files enabled, but no extent files over 2GB. A protrace file is produced every-time the dbrpr command fails.

Has anyone seen this before, is it a bug in 9.1D and large files or is it genuine database corruption? There is nothing on the Progress KB other than making sure proutil is run from the database root directory which it is?

OS is Windows 2003 Enterprise, Progress patch level is 08 and the database has recently crashed due to an i/o conflict with AV. Its currently running without any obvious issues, but I want to be certain it is not corrupted in any way before advising the business if a dump & load is recommended.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Consider yourself lectured.

Large file support started with the db. It slowly spread to various utilities and to the 4GL. Actual implementation dates of specific features depend on OS and Progress version but it wouldn't be surprising if dbrpr was behind the curve.

In short it is likely that while the db engine does, dbrpr does not support large files on your platform at the 9.1D level.

FocusIT

Thanks Tom, it confirms my suspicions. The database in question is the only one that has files physically larger than 2GB even though all databases in the application set have large files enabled.

As the only DBA at the site in question, I would dearly love to upgrade to Open Edge. But there are more powerful forces at work other than a humble teckie like myself. Can you suggest a reasonable alternative to dbrpr for checking consistency of the database, my first thought was idxcheck or idxfix but this will only check a limited number of things. Would tabanalys or dbanalys show up anything untoward? The site runs 24/6 so I only have Sundays to run any offline diagnostics and the db footprint is 450GB. I could restore a backup to another server, but there is nothing else across the business with a enough horespower other than the live server to handle a database this size.