Resolved dbman incorrectly says "Database failed to start"

aknyazeva

When I try to start my database from the command line with `call dbman -database Docutapweb -start`, I get this error:
Database <Docutapweb>, configuration <defaultConfiguration> starting...
ERROR: Database <Docutapweb> failed to start (DBMan022)
Error Processing Database. Database: Docutapweb

dbman hangs on the "starting" stage for several minutes, and eventually it shows that error, but if I watch OpenEdge explorer, the database is started almost instantly and I am able to use it.

This is on a VM. I have another physical machine with an identical database setup that does not have this problem. I checked the log files of both databases as they start and stop and they're nearly identical. There's nothing in the "broken" database's log that indicates that it had trouble starting.

What kinds of things could be causing this?

Let me know if it would help if I posted my log files, conmgr.properties, etc.

TheMadDBA

0) Does your VM have similar memory as the physical box?
1) Look in the adminserver log file for any errors.
2) Compare the conmgr.properties between the two boxes and make sure they are the same.

Also please provide exact Progress and Java versions and operating systems.

aknyazeva

While messing with the AdminService and looking through its log file as you suggested, I happened to bounce it, and... that fixed the issue.
My coworker also had the same issue with his machine, and we tried restarting the AdminService on his machine, and it worked there, too.
What a simple and silly solution. Can't believe I didn't think of that before I posted.
Thank you for your help!