DB is damn slow during the backup

mohanty

Hi Friends,

I have got an serious issue in Progress 9.1D of Redhat Linux version. The linux server performs very fine. My database is backed up everyday twice by probkp command. The server OS goes very slow only when the backup happens. Any clue how to avoid this slowness ??

Rgds,

Debajyoti Mohanty
40/1A, Lavelle Road, Bangalore

Very difficult question to answer. there are so many issues here, including, spec. of server, size of databases, number of users, etc.

As a start -

How long is the backup taking ?
Is it run online or offlline
How big is the database ?
Can you post a copy of the log from when it starts the backup to where it finishes please.
How many users are connected at the time backup is running.
Do you backup at a time when users are doing lots of other proecsses (or batch work such as EDI batch processing of orders).
Are you backing up to tape ?

ddavis

As Progress_Guy points out, there are several things which affect this, but the thing I think first is that you shouldn't be doing backups during performance sensitive times.

If you need data integrity, then twice a day isn't going to do it for you anyways.

What you'll eventually want to do is backup during a slow period and use an automated form of after imaging archiving to give you up to the minute data backup and reliability.

Of course, any solution depends on progress version, os version, system specs, size of db, and all the rest...

Good luck

ggursel

Hi
try truncating bi with the command
proutil <dbname> -C truncate bi

be sure your database is closed.
It really works.
Good luck.