DataDirect ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver Broker rejects connection

Victor Hdz

Hello everybody in the forum!

It's my first post in this forum and I'm also new using progress too

I have a problem, any help will be gratefull, I have a connection between a Progress DataBase with a MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Database

I made an ODBC connection using ODBC Progress OpenEdge 10.2B driver and making a linkedserver in MS SQL to access my progress database

Everything works fine at the beginning, I made a couple of MS SQL views objects using openquery to go through ODBC and get data storage on progress but when I use more than one view in the same query, I get this error:

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "[LINKED_SERVER]" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed.".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "[LINKED_SERVER]" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Broker rejects connection.".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "[LINKED_SERVER]" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Optional feature not implemented.".

seems like there is any kind of error about the number of connections made it via odbc, any idea to resolve this problem? I need to use a lot of views on my querys

thanks a lot!

RealHeavyDude

There are two things that need to be true to be able to connect to an OpenEdge database via ODBC/JDBC:
  • The broker must be able to start servers for SQL clients (and thus accepting the connections). Depending on your choices during installation you must specify the -ServerType both to the broker. Better yet, start a secondary login broker dedicated to the SQL clients.
  • You must set up SQL security (which is the complete opposite to the Progress approach - revoke vs. grant). Out-of-the-box the database only accepts the credentials of the OS account under which the database was created. If you don't know them you need to make use of the SYSPROGERSS account.
This is because the OpenEdge database is no SQL database in the first place - it has SQL capabilities but they are not configured in a good way out-of-the-box.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

XSmojo

I am setting this up for the first time also. I need SQL 2008 R2 to be able to pull data from OE 10.1B. Do the ODBC driver come in 32 and 64 bit? Supposedly we already have OE setup to support odbc activity but we shall see tomorrow.

XSmojo

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You get the 32-bit driver with the Windows install, and the 64-bit drivers are available for various platforms as separate downloads on the ESD site. However it looks like only there are only 32-bit drivers for Windows in the 10.1x releases.

Victor Hdz

You need install Progress OpenEdge 10.2 B to run over 64 bits, configure an ODBC connection and then make a linked server on MS SQL 64

greetings

I am setting this up for the first time also. I need SQL 2008 R2 to be able to pull data from OE 10.1B. Do the ODBC driver come in 32 and 64 bit? Supposedly we already have OE setup to support odbc activity but we shall see tomorrow.

XSmojo

XSmojo

It appears I will need a bit more help. We downloaded Network client 10.1B and it will not install on Server 2008 or XP even. It gives a Getlasterror referring to baseclnt. The OE database we need to pull from is 10.1B and the only serials and numbers I have are for that version. As far as I can tell the newer stuff will not install with my 10.1B numbers.

I am an Oracle guy so this is quite new and different. Any advice is appreciated. So to cover the background, I need to pull data from OE 10.1B over to SQL Server. I thought ODBC would be the easy way ;-) We also have Qextend but I have not looked at it for extract yet. If there is an easier way I am all ears. Or if I just need 10.2B I will see what I can do. I think there are 3rd party ODBC options as well but not sure if they are any better,

You need install Progress OpenEdge 10.2 B to run over 64 bits, configure an ODBC connection and then make a linked server on MS SQL 64

greetings

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Any Windows product from the 10.1B release should work on XP. What is the exact name of the product you downloaded from ESD?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Re-reading your first post, it looks like you have the driver you need. I think you need to refer to RHD's post and look at user permissions. For now I would forget ODBC and just get a user successfully connecting to the database and doing a select in SQL Explorer (sqlexp). Then try to connect remotely.

This article may help you: Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security

The 10.1B SQL Development manual has more information: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-19148 .

And if the broker is rejecting connections, look at your database startup parameters as well.

XSmojo

we pulled 101b_sqlclientaccess_nt.exe

one of the team did the install and downloaded the extra files it asks for so we think we have an odbc install now.

Any Windows product from the 10.1B release should work on XP. What is the exact name of the product you downloaded from ESD?

XSmojo

responding to Rob -
good to know, I will check those guides but we believe the permissions and such are already set. ODBC and Qextend are used on this system already for other purposes.

MMARCHI

Hi to all.
I hope one of you can help me to clarify something about OpenEdge Progress driver ODBC and SQL SERVER 2008 R2.

I have a PC with Windows 7 64 bit and i need to create an application with VB.NET 2010.
This application need to pull data from an OpenEdge Progress DB.
To do that i installed OpenEdge Driver ODBC ...10.2B Version
Name file installed is
I created a DSN and all was tested okay,

When i try to create a Data Source in VB.NET application, i choose ODBC Connection
Wizard ask me the name of DSN i created, userid and pwd ... i did that but i receive this ERROR:

ERROR IM14 ... Microsoft Driver Manager ODBC
mISMATCH OF ARCHITETURE between Driver and application...

My pc is 64 bit and driver ODBC was perhaps 32 bit ...this is the problem ???

I tried also to install TRIAL VERSION of PROGRESS DATA DIRECT ODBC 64 bit...BUT I RECEIVE THE SAME ERROR ???

Where is my problem ???
I have the same problem if i try to connect with this DSN using REPORTING SERVICES or CRYSTAL Report.

Do i need to buy or install different or specific products ???

Do i have to use a LINKED SERVER object ,,,through a SQL SERVER machine , i have in my work network ????
It seems very strange i cannot work directly with an ODBC Connection in .NET application...

Regards in advance ...thanks...

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If the PC application that needs to load the OpenEdge wire protocol driver is 64-bit then it must have a 64-bit driver. This isn't provided by default in the 32-bit Windows product.

There is a free download called SQL Client Access that contains the drivers you need. If you are a direct Progress client you can obtain this via ESD. Otherwise contact your Progress vendor. Install the 64-bit Windows driver on your PC and that should address your issue.