Database re-design.

PJan8724

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to re-desgin our 9.1c Progress DB. We're going to be upgrading our system to OE 10.0x and I need to re-design the storage areas (move thing around), add in more space for the DB files, AI extents and so on. Currently I've got a 20GB database split amongst 15DB files each at 1.5GB fixed in size with one variable length DB file and 15 or so AI extents at 500MB to handle processing. I've got Progress set up to handle large file sizes and so on.

Does anyone know what the Maximum size that each of the DB Files can be set up too. Can I have DB files that exceed the 2GB limit or do I have to keep them under 2GB. Also can the AI files also exceed the 2GB limit.

I've already looked over the PKB, found some info and ran through the formula they have on the site. Unfortunately those formulas don't answer my questions about splitting my files, they just tell me wha the total size of the DB can be, which I really don't need to know.

Thanks for all the help.

Pete J.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi Pjan8724,

EnabLelargefiles was introduced in 9.1C.

You forgot to mention you're OS but I think the folowing knowledgebase article sheds
some light on it.

KB P32184: Best database extent size: http://tinyurl.com/rr5p6
The V9 workgroup and personal databases do not allow extents larger
than 2 GB. The enterprise database does, except on Linux. The limit is
based mainly on what the operating system allows. I don't think any
system's limit is less than 64 GB per file and some are much higher.

HTH,

Casper