Creating databases on the fly

frafati

Hello everybody,

Is there a way to Create databases on the fly when the Progress Workgroup is installed?

I would like to be able to create databases at the time of product installation that partly will be done programmatically. Everything works fine under development environment, but will fail. When installing on a machine with Progress Workgroup license. Apparently the Progress Workgroup does not allow modification into the schema tables. I get the following error:

** Attempt to modify schema during run-time or query session. (484)
The run-time and query versions of PROGRESS do not support updating the schema. You can only make a schema change with a full PROGRESS license.

Is there a way to go around this problem?

The problem isn't the Workgroup licence, it is the fact that it is a run-time or query-run-time licence.

This seems very peculiar and I think that tech support should be able to tell you how to modify a database with a run-time licence.

Are you starting your session with the -rx parameter which states in my manual

"Use Encrypted Compiler Mode (-rx) to enable query or run-time Progress clients to compile
encrypted source code and access the Data Dictionary to manage schema (for example: for
security management and to dump or load .df files)."

Toby

frafati

Dear Toby,

I thank you a thousnad times.

You were right and what I needed was to specify the -rx parameter.

Thanks again.:)

Originally posted by toby.Harman
The problem isn't the Workgroup licence, it is the fact that it is a run-time or query-run-time licence.

This seems very peculiar and I think that tech support should be able to tell you how to modify a database with a run-time licence.

Are you starting your session with the -rx parameter which states in my manual

"Use Encrypted Compiler Mode (-rx) to enable query or run-time Progress clients to compile
encrypted source code and access the Data Dictionary to manage schema (for example: for
security management and to dump or load .df files)."

Toby