Create Database/Table/field with progress manual

Sorry, what do you mean with Progress Manual please ? Do you simply need to know how to create, etc. is it GUI ? Where is data coming from.

sharkdim

my mean is :
how to create database/table/fileds with manual,by coding, such as :
by SQL: create table dd ....
i know how to create temp-table:
define temp-table tt_manul
fields tt_manul_id
fields tt_manul_name.
but after closing application , temp-table will be deleted.
i want to create a "fix" table with coding.
can you help me ?

Hi There,

Temp tables only exist at the session level, so, to compare them to actual database tables isn't sensible.

To create a structure in the database ideally you would use the Data Dictionary. Another method is to create a .df file (from another database) and load it into the database (using the data dictionary). If you were confident enough then yes you could manually create a .df file (or 'tweak' an existing one) - I'd not recomment this either.

Progress does have system tables, e.g. _file, etc. (which contain details about the tables, etc. which reside in the database), but, I'd 100% say DO NOT use these to create databases/tables on the fly - in fact I only ever READ these. I've never tried creating a schema by creating system tables and am not even sure it can be done.

If you have a test environment and wish to try it then look at the _file and other system tables - I'll stop at this point 'cos I don't want to be responsible for helping you screw up a live database.

Possibly you could clarify why you wish to do this when Progress have created a perfectly decent set of database admin. tools !! If you can get back to me with a valid reason then I'll attempt a test environment for you and provide you with the code. I do think you may be going in the wrong direction though.

Thanks,
Dave.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Progress_Guy said:
Progress does have system tables, e.g. _file, etc. (which contain details about the tables, etc. which reside in the database), but, I'd 100% say DO NOT use these to create databases/tables on the fly - in fact I only ever READ these. I've never tried creating a schema by creating system tables and am not even sure it can be done.

Yes, it can be done. But you have to be a serious glutton for punishment to want to go there...

As Progress_Guy says -- don't do it. Use the dictionary tools.

gcampbell

Like everyone else has mentioned, use the Data Dictionary tool that comes with Progress --- no need for manual creation.

But, saying that, if you want an example of how to create a table/field/index manually, then create a dump of the Data Definition for a database (use the Data Administration tool for that). This illustrates how Progress has implemented manual updates. You then can run the load_df.p procedure to load the DF into an empty database.

But, again, it's all too much trouble. Use the Data Dictionary ....or, use a utility like PCASE (from www.tools4progress.com) that allows you to visually create/maintain your DB then applies the updates.

later,
Gordon

lord_icon

RE: Create Database/Table/field

Noddy 4GL here, nobody has offered any syntax to help.
Within your 4GL session.
Execute a block / procedure that ...
CREATE tableName.
FIELD-LIST fieldName AS DataType
ASSIGN fieldName = Value.
It is better practice to use a TempTable here, though that is NOT the only method, you can easily CREATE a noddy physical db, though a TempTable would surfice.

lord_icon said:
Within your 4GL session. ....
It is better practice to use a TempTable here, though that is NOT the only method, you can easily CREATE a noddy physical db, though a TempTable would surfice.

He/she is trying to define a (permanent) database table, not fill it. You can't do this through 4GL.

If you create a table through SQL sharkdim, you will not be able to maintain it through the normal Data Admin tools. Use those instead.

Yes, he/she wants to do structure of dbase and not dbase.

As I said I've never done this before using schema tables (not sure if can), but, I'm sure one of us could come up with some code, but, as I said it's dangerous to do and I wouldn't advise unless a valid rweason for wanting to do so is provided.

Not me being awkward, simply a V. dangerous thing to do (if possible).

As a matter of interest has anyone done this before ?? If so why ??

gcampbell

It is obviously possible via the 4GL -- you just need to know how to do it.

The Progress load_df.p illustrates how to do this, plus Roundtable has written their own database updater routine.

It's a lot of work to do, so I'd recommend building a .df file that you can load via load_df.p.

Later,
Gordon

gcampbell said:
It is obviously possible via the 4GL -- you just need to know how to do it.

I meant through a simple 'DEFINE TABLE' type declaration. I should have clarified.

The other comments about _File tables had already been made.

schaapie

Yes, it can be done.
Yes, i'm probably "a serious glutton for punishment" whatever that means.
I did it because we were creating a datawarehouse and weren't happy about the tools available. It had to be tied in with the production- db's logical and fysical db-scheme, batchjob scheduling, incremenal load OUR way etc.
We're creating (and deleting) _file's and _fields on the fly, indexes and sequences are still done in de Progress datadict.

So yes, you can "create _file" and "create _field" (Progress does this too in their datadict-programs)
and
yes you have to be VERY CAREFULL.

and since SharkDim hasn't given a good reason to do this I still advise against it.

Oh no Schaapie.

I'm breaking out in a cold sweat.

I'm seriously worried for you,.

How do you sleep at night - lol.

Seriously, As no decent reason has been given I'll hope our advice has been heeded.