Copy Database progress to sql server

RealHeavyDude

Prostgres != Progress

You don't talk about the Progress/OpenEdge version you are running.

There might be an easy solution using the DataServer technology that Progress provides for MS SQL Server provided that the version of Progress you are running supports the version of MS SQL Server you are running.

The complex solution is to dump the data in ASCII form and write a program that parses that data and imports it into the MS SQL Server database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Marian EDU

you need to let us know more about the specific need you have, is that an one-time data migration or the progress database will continue to be used and you might need to sync the two from time to time (real-time maybe), what version of progress db do you have and what products were installed?

there are tools that can help you with data migration, data integration tasks... a number of great ETL tools can be found on Java so you can use those with JDBC, I'm sure there are alternatives for ODBC as well :)

mrprogman

Hi...thanks for your answer's, i made this....I created in visual 2008 one packet with SSIS,in the dataflow i put one datasource with ado connection, but i pull the information from progreess across ODBC, but the app only let me put the connection in ado..ok...in the destination only let me put in ole db...i want to copy intormation in sql server 2008, when i running the packet i got this error.

[ADO NET Source [1]] Error: System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
this is my connection string to connect progress:

"Driver={Progress Openedge 10.1A Driver};DSN=PROGRESS;DB=pace;UID=sysprogress;PWD=password;HOST=192.168.10.248;PORT=2580

can you help me..?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You really do need to tell us more clearly about what you are trying to do. The recommended direction depends a lot on whether this is an on-going requirement, a one time transfer, change of platform, a push from the Progress side, a pull from the SQL Server side, what version of Progress you are running, whether you have Client Networking or SQL Networking products installed, etc.