Answered Convert OE10.2B db to OE11.3

LarryD

We are in the process of building a new server for one of our customers that is on 10.2B at present and we are going to upgrade to 11.3.1 as part of the migration. DB is a little over 100GB.

If I'm not mistaken, I have three choices:

1) Dump and load flat files
2) Binary dump and load
3) Copy the .db's and all extents (including .bi's) to the new server and run conv1011

While dump and load (either method) would be 'cleaner' and do data compression, the time involved to do this will be quite long. I'm wondering about the feasiblity of #3. The directory structure will remain the same.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be most welcome.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
How about truncate BI and backup with 10.2B and restore on the new box with the 11.3 DLC/bin/102dbutils/102b05_dbutil, then conv1011?

I assume the DB is already structured the way you want it and is in reasonably good health.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
While a nice idea... Actually using those compatibility utilities is a bit more of an adventure than most people are generally up for...

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Just don't try to restore a 10.2B backup with 11.3. I don't know if they have fixed it yet, but earlier in the 11.x release you could restore a 10.2B backup without error messages, but the resulting DB was unusable.

RealHeavyDude

IMHO - if your database is already layed out accordingly in type II storage areas the conv1011 is worth a try. For me it worked perfectly from OE10.1c to OE 11.3.1. Otherwise I would take the chance and fix the area layout utilizing dump and load. You must understand that conv1011 does not change the data itself - it just upgrades the database main block to the new version, upgrades the meta schema tables and the VSTs, that's all it does.

In order to be able to use the conv1011 successfully you must disable the after image, truncate the before image before invoking it. Furthermore I would strongly recommend you to take a backup too.

After you have successfully converted the database you can then take a backup, enable the after image and there you go ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

LarryD

The DB is layed out with Type II (and yes, we have after-imaging). We did all that when we went from 9.x to OE10 (thanks Tom for your guidance per your missives way back when). The database is actually in pretty good shape, and we keep it that way.

I was unaware that prorest was part of the dbutils... I'm going to have to find out how to do that. Thanks Rob for the suggestion. I did see the kbase entry on the issues with the 11 restore issues, and according to that kbase entry as of 11.1.1 they do not even try to restore from a 10.x db -- it errors out immediately. https://progress.my.salesforce.com/articles/Article/000029411

My other thought was that we might try and also install 10.2B on that machine as well as 11.3 and then just use the prorest from that.

EDIT: I found a kbase entry detailing how to do the migration. https://progress.my.salesforce.com/articles/Article/000043128 which pretty much mirrors what has already been said.

Thanks for the assistance!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I was unaware that prorest was part of the dbutils... I'm going to have to find out how to do that. Thanks Rob for the suggestion.

Prorest *is* _dbutil, with a parameter of "prorest". This is the content of the 10.2B prorest shell script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
DLC=${DLC-/u/DLC/dlcv102b};export DLC
exec $DLC/bin/_dbutil prorest "$@"

So to do a 10.2B restore with 11.3 DLC you would just need to execute the last line, changing the name and path of the executable.