Convert from Progress Db to Oracle Db

Vivek

I have an application which runs on Progress Db. I want to convert the Db to Oracle Db.
What code changes are required in the Progress code and what are the steps required to change the Db?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
So you want to continue to use the Progress code, but change the backend database to be Oracle? Why? That sounds like a recipe for horrible performance.

Vivek

So you want to continue to use the Progress code, but change the backend database to be Oracle? Why? That sounds like a recipe for horrible performance.

Yes Cringer. I have to use Progress code but the database will be changed to Oracle. Can you please tell me what performance issues I will face?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
How are you planning on connecting to the Oracle DB? You can't just connect your existing application to Oracle because the DB won't know what to do with the code. What is the motivation behind the switch? It sounds like a really bad idea.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
There is an OpenEdge product called DataServer that allows an ABL client to connect to an Oracle or SQL Server back end. I have never bought it or used it so I can't advise you further. But my understanding from hearing others describe it is that implementing it is not trivial or transparent to your application and you may have to write back-end-specific code to get queries to perform acceptably.

You should research it and conduct a cost-benefit analysis, including first-hand information on costs and potential pitfalls, before committing to changing your back end.

cj_brandt

I have been around a couple applications that used the Oracle DataServer.

The application can be updated to make the reads perform acceptable, but we weren't able to get large updates to process quickly.

If there were 100 records to update, the Oracle DataServer would send them to Oracle as 100 separate transactions with a single update.

That was 5 years back with OE 10.2B. Might be some differences with newer versions.