Connect to AIX Server from Windows using ODBC

bugg_tb

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working in a company who uses progress for it Stock control and I have been asked to come up with a nice front end for some figure we need to get out of it.

I've never used progress before and I've searched and searched but can't come up with an answer.

On our server there are 3 databases, CSSYDB (The main database, that I'd like to connect to), CSOpenAcc (An open accounts database than requires authentication), and CSOpenArch (a stripped down archive database).

Anyway, using the Merant ODBC connector I began playing around the other day and much to my surprise the CSOpenArch allowed me to access it straight off. I haven't changed any settings,

Code:
Hostname : Server3
PortNumber : 9903
Databasename : blah

If I try and link to it in access I can see a listing of the tables.

So I thought great this isn't going to be too hard, looks like I was wrong.

The startup files for the above look like..

Code:
-n 300 
-H server3
-S csopenarch
-N TCP

I then try to connect to CSOpenAcc and I get a Authentication Failed, not unsurprising as I don't have a username/password combination for it.

Anyway I only really need to connect to CSSYDB and when I try I get a.....
Code:
Exceeded Permissible Number Of Connections

Which is weird I though cause we have an unlimited number of connections and none of my progress apps have any problems connecting.

Anyway the config for CSSYDB looks something like this,
Code:
-c 30
-L 100000
-Mn 1
-n 168
-B 25000
-spin 2003
-bibufs 40
-H server3
-N TCP
-S cssydb
So I am at a loss, I have seen things about brokers, but I don't understand because no brokers have been set up to anyones knowlege and so why can I connect to 1 database but not the other 2?

Cheers in advance

tom

ddavis

The -n 168 will limit the total number of connections to 168 and this includes any batch jobs. This -n is number of connections and has very little relationship with how many connections you're licensed for.

But, the thing that's stopping you is the -Mn 1. This says that progress can only start one server to handle requests. A progress server can handle either Progress clients *OR* sql/odbc clients, but not both.

Once the first progress client connects, that server is bound to server requests for only progress clients, and the db will not start another server process for you because -Mn 1 prevents it.

You could increase -Mn, set -Ma and -Mi to control how many clients per server process, but you'll run across the same issue time and again since you will be trying to use the same port to login both types of clients.

You'll really want to start a secondary login broker on a different port for odbc connections.

Hope that helps.

Darrell Davis
Greensboro NC