Concept: Diff between FORM and FRAME

Reynold

ALL -

Could any one explain whats the basic differences between FORM and a FRAME.
And what we can achieve from the one which we cannot from the other.

Because till now I am not able to find any such difference. So please help in understanding the actual concept behind the 2 for most of our junior members of Progress.

Thanks in advance.

Form and Frame is used to display data in progress.

Difference:
1. From display data to the current block of transaction and Frame display all data which is in the block.
2. Because Form display data to the current block only, apparently we face Frame flashing problem and to resolve this problem we need to make frame as DOWN frame.

Try these differences using code and please let me know if you have any question/concern.

Hi Tom,

As per my understanding, this question has two parts.

Q 1: Could any one explain whats the basic differences between FORM and a FRAME.
ANS: This is the main difference that i have found between From and Frame(Described above).

Q2: what we can achieve from the one which we cannot from the other.
Ans: I am unable to find any such scenario where we can achieve something from the one which we cannot from the other.

Thanks!!!

Yes, you are correct. But i am curious to know that what are the scenario's where we can use Form not Frame or Vice-Versa.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
There is no either/or relationship.

A FRAME is a container. The FORM statement is one method of filling that container.

You are not required to use a FORM statement. It is convenient to use the FORM statement if you know exactly what you want your frame to look like and you want that definition to appear in one place.

But you can also describe a FRAME's contents through the use of many other statements such as DISPLAY and UPDATE or by dynamically accessing the methods of the frame handle.

You can even take a hybrid approach and partially describe the FRAME via a FORM statement and use other statements and methods to add to it.

The FORM statement is simply a high level abstraction that consolidates a bunch of low level operations on FRAMEs in a simple statement. This is one of the big attractions of the Progress 4GL -- you can use the high level abstractions *or* you can peel the onion and get to the level of detail that you need. All within one seamless language.

RealHeavyDude

Excellent explanation!

I only ever used the FORM statement in CHUI code and I think it only applies to CHUI coding as you most likely would use WYSWYG like at least the AppBuilder to design GUI. And there I've never seen a FORM statement. Though, I am pretty sure it will compile correctly and even run in a GUI but I am pretty sure it will look pretty ugly ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.