Compiere

Steve Kuchta

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to dump our database into an open source ERP such as Compiere MFG+SCM. We are currently running Progress91D and Vantage 6.1 and upgrading is out of the question. We have found that Vantage 6.1 does not have some scheduling capabilities which we need. When we try to forecast manufacturing schedules it does not take into account the need for all other operations to be completed before assembly takes place. Apparently Vantage 8.0 and later do take that into consideration. I wanted to get an open source ERP to dump our data into in order to get a handle on our scheduling tasks. I believe Compiere handles Oracle 10g or PostgreSQL. Will something like this work?

Thank you,

Steve Kuchta

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It isn't as if there is a universal ERP schema. Compiere might be able to handle Oracle as a DB, but that doesn't mean anything about whether a particular ERP running on Oracle could be dumped into Compiere running Oracle. To assess the difficulty, you will need an analysis of the two schemas and almost certainly some program writing to figure out how to transform the data from one schema to the next.

I would also check features very carefully. Just because it does one thing you want doesn't mean it does all the things you need which are already provided by your current system. It could easily turn out to be easier to add the missing capability to what you have than it would be to make the change and fill in any gaps there.

comatt1

It isn't as if there is a universal ERP schema. Compiere might be able to handle Oracle as a DB, but that doesn't mean anything about whether a particular ERP running on Oracle could be dumped into Compiere running Oracle. To assess the difficulty, you will need an analysis of the two schemas and almost certainly some program writing to figure out how to transform the data from one schema to the next.

I would also check features very carefully. Just because it does one thing you want doesn't mean it does all the things you need which are already provided by your current system. It could easily turn out to be easier to add the missing capability to what you have than it would be to make the change and fill in any gaps there.

Completely agree with tamhas. Also, there are fundamental differences in how databases are maintained within Oracle and SQL especially with "?" or unknown values and sequences.

ERP requirements should begin with:

- What you have/don't have now
- What your users like/dislike about the current ERP
- What your users need/want

Everything begins with the people who use the system. Limiting yourself to investigating a single ERP App is not the best idea.

Regardless of the new ERP, there will be numerous functional differences in how tasks are performed by internal users.

If Vantage 6.1 doesn't work like you want it, evaluate if you have the resources to make it work the way you would like. Look at Vantage forums and see if anyone has already implemented changes to the ERP allowing the scheduling capabilities you need.

There is a learning curve involved with changing to different programming/database languages/types. And a larger learning curve with Open Source ERP's.

Maintenance/Support costs suck, yes, but historically they are paid because you can't invest the time/resources to manage your own ERP in house 100%.

--- However, if a version exists that works the way you want, why not upgrade?