Come hear Progress executives Rick Reidy, Alan Young and Ken Wilner, in person!

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Join us at PUG Challenge Americas conference for the Keynote Session featuring Progress executives, Rick Reidy, President and Chief Executive Officer, Alan Young, Senior Vice President and General Manager Application Development Platforms, and Ken Wilner, Vice President of Technology for OpenEdge.

Come hear about what’s driving and changing the way business applications are built and deployed today. Hear how Progress is responding with its business strategy, product directions and the OpenEdge product roadmap.

Register today!
http://pugchallenge.org/register.html

rzr

thanks a ton !!!.... and hope others who were also lucky enough to attend will also be willing to share (if they can :) ) ....

Obriga ....

Rupa

I am a Fresher in progress programming..can you please drop some important documents at my mail_id:rups.nandi@gmail.com

rzr

I'll take it that you have recently joined a new workplace...
do you know what is the version of progress used ?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Aug 1 (Reuters) - Business software maker Progress Software Corp said Chief Executive Richard Reidy will step down, and it will immediately begin an external hunt for a new CEO.

Reidy, who has been with the company for 27 years and took over at the helm in March 2009, will continue as President and CEO until a successor is finalized, the company said in a release.

Shares of the Bedford, Massachusetts-based company had closed at $24.10 on Friday on Nasdaq. (Reporting by Sruthi Ramakrishnan in Bangalore; Editing by Viraj Nair)

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
That explains the reference to him leaving, but not to BPM elsewhere or the cloud.

rstanciu

the management have to kill 4GL Progress because is old, nobody used. The future is BPM, RPM, ESB ...
but the reality is not, this is a dream of very big companies who spend a lot of money.
There is not a real market. Is a market borned in the dreams and the marcket of expenses. Who expend more win.
The problem of the economy is the inverse hierarchy. Having 9 managers for one worker.
I use sonic from year 2000 for funny .... but I will never purpose to my company to buy, in reality .. the + of sonic is zero.
I replace sonic with:
ssh -X -p 22 -t user@$host "su - user -c 'pro -db database -1 -p exportstats.p'";

sonic/actional/savignon etc. is the CLOUD

ssh -X .... is the FIELD

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
What universe do you live in? OpenEdge is holding its own. If it were to disappear, PSC would be a tiny company. Not only does OpenEdge keep breaking new ground ... the only DB with block level encryption that results in very low over head and soon the only true multi-tenant database ... but PSC is exploiting the possible synergies by providing tight integration between OpenEdge and Savvion to create the first BPM enabled development platform. Meanwhile, Sonic continues to be an industry leader ... you may not need all that it offers, but other people do and appreciate it. Likewise Actional.

Is that Savignon or Sauvignon ... and if the latter, Blanc or Cabernet? :)

rstanciu

Yes I am crazy. OpenEdge does not change since 2003 there no GUI for unix, the smart phones is fully unknown, limited compatibiliy, Win32 only, no tools for developing web application or smart phones, no tools for developing for devices like an industrial robots. There is no needs for buisness process, people known how the business works.
If you call Progress for an intervention/training on OpenEdge, Progress will call an external company who call a student or somebody on Inde, who known nothing of OpenEdge, who post a message to ProgressTalk, you answer to the question ... and you pay 1500$/day ::)
As I say OpenEdge is dead "vive Actional" !
Multitenancy is not universally accepted because of confidentiality, people wants to be free and the personal business data can not
be shared even if they are in a multi-national company . Multitenancy is a lot of work for nothing and maintenance is a nightmare.
The universe I live is the reality: "FOR EACH Customer: UPDATE CustNum Name City. END."

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Not change since 2003???? Apparently, you haven't been paying attention. Yikes, that was 10.0A. GUI for .NET and OOABL no change? Not to mention lots of other bits.

Yeah, I was sorry personally to see the X windows go ... but realistically, what percentage of the desktop space is non-Windows? And with OpenClient, one has Java, .NET, browser RIA, and numerous other client choices ... i.e., pretty much anything that anyone else has.

Webspeed and WebClient and OpenClient aren't tools for web applications? You want that PSC should redundantly provide HTML editors or something?

Smartphones are not unknown. There were at least two papers on the topic at PUG Challenge Americas. Check it out. Again, why would PSC get into the business of actually developing the tool for the client. It exists already. You want maybe an AVM to run on a smartphone?

Have you missed all the Win 64 products. Been out for a while now. Only the client is still 32.

Industrial robots???? That isn't even slightly the market that PSC is in. You might as well criticize them for not being good at games.

There is no needs for buisness process, people known how the business works.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sure sounds like it is covered by Savvion. Notice how Savvion will use an OpenEdge database now? And the interaction will be built into the language in 11.0?

Well, yes, not every site is a candidate for multi-tenancy, either because they don't need it or because of security concerns. As it happens, I believe those security concerns are well addressed by the 11.0 implementation in ways they are not by the workaround solutions that companies have used up to now. But, a feature doesn't need to be universally needed to be important or a sign of an advanced tool. Have you actually looked at the 11.0 implementation? It is really quite slick.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Data source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems has numbers about half that.

And, of course, one would like the cross cut of division by use - business, personal, and education. The latter in particular is probably higher so that business percentage would be lower, especially if one segregated certain business types such as media and design which are not really PSC markets.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, PSC's market is world wide, dramatically so. Additional googling seems to produce a discrepancy of 100% or more between what is reported by Apple-oriented sites versus other sources. E.g.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9
http://itsalltech.com/2011/07/12/wi...ng-people-and-companies-to-retire-windows-xp/

There is some confusion at some sites because they include iPad in Apple numbers, which I think is inappropriate at this time.
There does seem to be a pretty wide variation in numbers even from non-Apple related sites which makes one think that people might be counting different things.

At any rate, I think if we could factor this by business, education, and personal that the numbers would be even lower.