Code Beautifier for Progress 4GL

Hi Everybody,

I don't find a nice code beautifier for Progress 4GL. Can anyone suggest me a code beautifier and give me some URL to download the same...

can anyone help me out?????:confused:

Thank u very much, its nice and easy to use...
Also one thing this code beautifier is written using progress itself, do we have some application written in java or in some other languages for beautifying the code written in Progress. Do we have some separate application which doe this work???????

:confused:

If so jus help me out!!!

The official IDEs for GUI Progress are Appbuilder (v9+) and Eclipse (if you are on v10).

You can also view code in free external editors like NotePad++ and PSPad, which will even have keyword colouring if you have the Progress syntax plugin for them.

There are a couple of plugins to Progress which enhance the Appbuilder IDE (KSV, ABLHack), and a dedicated viewer PView, all of which you can find via my links page.

I do have Eclipse IDE with me. No probs on that, i wil check out with my team and try to get some way...

Thanks a lot my friend!!

dayv2005

Hi Everybody,

I don't find a nice code beautifier for Progress 4GL. Can anyone suggest me a code beautifier and give me some URL to download the same...

can anyone help me out?????:confused:

A nice one i use is ABHack it's not so much a code beautifier but i has some nice formating options and you can get it from psdn and it supports versions 9.1d and up that i know of. With some mods.

And if you need any info on this let me know.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Understand that the Eclipse IDE for ABL is not a free download like many Eclipse components. It is a product called OpenEdge Architect and must be purchased. Once purchased, you can then install the plugin into your existing Eclipse installation, if you have that already set up or follow Anthony Swindells' whitepapers to combine multiple Eclipse-based tools into one installation. Note that they only support 3.2 at this time.

You can also view code in free external editors like NotePad++ and PSPad, which will even have keyword colouring if you have the Progress syntax plugin for them.

It's been pointed out to me offline the NotePad++ extension is hard to get hold of.

I've never actually installed it (only the PSPad one), but I have read about it in a couple of places, though the OEHive reference appears to have been removed.

Download details (but I can't download it at the moment):
http://yuvcom.com/progress4gl/index.html

developer email details available here:
http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?t=111757
which was robo-nicked from OEHive.

It's worth noting that according to the first page linked to above, the Notepad++ extension overwrites executable files, rather than supplying a simple syntax text file (as with PSPad), presumably because that's the only way it can be done.

This introduces security, functionality and possibly license considerations, particularly wrt to corporate policy - no slur on the developer's integrity implied (community efforts appreciated here), you just need to be aware of that.

sdutta

hello. I saw that several individuals were utilizing eclipse IDE (found http://www.eclipse.org/). I was wondering if someone can please point me to coloring/highlight for 4gl/abl. I found an abl plugin but it does not seem to support openedge/progress abl/4gl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RealHeavyDude

I don't know whether there is a plug-in just for syntax highlighting around for eclipse.

But, Progress offers the OpenEdge Architect developer license which is an eclipse plug-in and should replace (in their opinion) the OpenEdge Studio license. It costs the same though. Basically I agree except for ADM2/Dynamics developments.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

no7892142

So I created a simple NPP syntax highlighter for Progress 4GL as I was unable to find anything already existing.
Even though this thread is years old, I thought I might as well share it, maybe it'll be of some use to someone else, too.
(Especially since the OEA, even though an amazing tool in itself, suffers from the usual Eclipse problems.)

Simply rename to .xml [as I can't upload those here] and import under "Language -> Define your language...".

Attachments

• progress20140711.txt
    72.9 KB · Views: 44