Cleaning records out of a db

kevin_w

Hi,

I would like to clean out records in a db to start with a clean one. I can not make a new db by loading it with a df-file because there are some table's that not can be deleted. So i would do the following dumping the selected tables in data administration (making the df-file). Then deleting the dumped tables in the data dictionary and at least loading back the tables in the data administration. Is this correct to start with a clean db ??

Regards,

Kevin

syddie

Why not just truncate the data area. This will clean out all records and leave your schema in tact.

Ken

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i agree with Syddie, unless you've got the data sitting in the schema area

which is just one more thing you're missing out on in this setup

never tried it before, but starting with release 10 progress supports fast table drops

though you'll need to use sql, you can also use the eclipse db navigator

so have they given up on making changes to the schema thru 4gl ?

don't mind it as much as 4gl support for fast table scans and a cost-based optimizer, to name a few

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
just out of interest ...

what exactly are you trying to accomplish, or what's the purpose of this procedure ?

maybe there's a better way

Dump df ???

Greetings,

RE:
I would like to clean out records in a db to start with a clean one.

I do NOT understand why you are taking this messy route. Why can you not just dump the df and load into a new db? problem solved

Only load the data you require into a new db. By having a new buffer db, you can load the data that you are interested in only

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
maybe it's just me, but i'd say it's simpler and way faster

instantly making the data disappear, sort of speak

as opposed to

- creating a void database

- copying metaschema

- loading data definitions

even on a small average sized database, say 10gig, roughly ~15min

again the most suitable solution depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish

if you're looking to deploy an app database, how about

- creating an empty template database

- making a small backup of the template

- then all you'll need, is to restore a copy of the template. hth

kevin_w

Problem is that there are some records in tables that are needed to keep the program working. If i just dump the data-definitions en load them into a new db the program that used the db doesn't work anymore. I'm still working with 8.3 The db is used by an inventory program but i wanna clean it out, that what i wanna do.

syddie

Of course you could always write a simple procedure to go through each DICTDB._file except the ones you need left in tact, and delete the records :rolleyes:

Ken