Chilkat

LBaliao

Hello.

I am wondering if anyone here has sample code or know how the latest "ChilkatDotNet48.dll" work in PROGRESS. We have existing code using previous version, ChilkatMail2 and I am a bit lost as to how this new Chilkat version works so I can upgrade our existing programs.

I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks,
Liza

peterjudge

You should be able to convert C# examples into ABL reasonably easily. There are a few things that won't work at all, but generally-speaking, it should all work in ABL.

The page at https://docs.progress.com/bundle/op...r-.NET-ABL.html?labelkey=product_openedge_122 and the related (left-hand side) pages are a good reference for converting .NET code into ABL.

Chilkat looks like it has a lot of varied functionality that it provides (per Chilkat C# Reference Documentation). If you have a specific thing you are trying to do and having difficulty with, post some sample code and we can try to help.

-- peter

LBaliao

Thank you Peter. The first thing I need to figure out is how PROGRESS can find chilkatdotnet48.dll.

It's in the folder that's in my env var path. and where previous Chilkat version is located too. I don't think the DLL needs to be registered. I know how it's added as reference in other programming languages. It's throwing a 5893 error.

peterjudge

Thank you Peter. The first thing I need to figure out is how PROGRESS can find chilkatdotnet48.dll.

It's in the folder that's in my env var path. and where previous Chilkat version is located too. I don't think the DLL needs to be registered. I know how it's added as reference in other programming languages. It's throwing a 5893 error.
Take a look at the -assemblies switch. That, and the XML file in it tell the runtime which DLLs to use.

WinningJr

Make sure you unblock the .dll if you downloaded it. I also didn't see you mentioning that you added it to your local Assemblies. If the assemblies and .dll file is on a network share, you also need to update your Progress executable's .config file to allow loadFromRemoteSources :

This is all fresh in my head because my prowin.exe.config was missing a seemingly needed extra carriage-return at the end, making my Class Browser fail.

-Gerry

Attachments

• 1691766953355.png
    1691766953355.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 5

LBaliao

Thank you Peter and Gerry for your help and your time. The issue has been resolved. It turned out that for PROGRESS application, I needed ChilkatAx-9.5.0-win32.dll. It's not a .NET DLL so it doesn't need to be added to assemblies file. Per Chilkat software website, the error I was getting was

"Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet**.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.".

Though already installed, I had to repair MS Visual C++. From there, I had to register ChilkatAx-9.5.0-win32.dll. Then, onto the Registry Editor to figure out correct registered name and lastly, PROGRESS COM Object Viewer to get related COM objects and properties.

Hope this helps others in future.

-Liza