Character User Interface - help

Anemia

I am programming in Progress OpenEdge 10.2a and 10.1b and 9.1d, and I use GUI. I have some exercise on University and want to make comparasion of GUI and ChUI application with 4gl background.
(HCI aspect)

Does anyone know if there is a tool in 10.x version of Progress which allow to build ChUI application or I have to try in some older version of Progress ?
So if I have to install older version of Progress which is the latest version that supports CHuI, and what OS i have to use ?

tnx in advance

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
All versions of Progress on all platforms support ChUI. Only Windows supports GUI.

If you are using Windows you want to make sure to use the "Character Client" or "Proenv" icons (which run _progres.exe) rather than anything that runs prowin32.exe. Character code will "work" with prowin32 but it is even uglier than usual when you do so.

There is no specific framework provided by Progress for character coding. You can just use whatever editor you like and crank out the code. Of course many 3rd parties created frameworks; some for sale and many for internal use with their applications. But none ever became Progress-wide standards and I doubt that any of them are actively offered anymore.

GregTomkins

I would argue that PSC's CUI is so simple, it IS a framework already. And though I am fond of making snarky comments about Progress, in THIS case, I mean it in a good way. It's hard to beat PSC for whipping up a reasonable CUI table editor in a hurry.

Anemia

tnx. for basic instructions. I have another question - Is there some manual for programming like "John Saad - Progress® 4GL Handbook", for ChUI ?

GregTomkins

Programming Handbook and ABL Reference, both available from progress.com with no password, are both pretty good IMHO and both cover this area. Campbell's book is OK but dated, not available online AFAIK, and costs $$. PSC documentation is current, online, free, **and**, IMHO, good to excellent quality.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Yes, the Progress docs are free and quite good buy they don't really have a comprehensive over-view of ChUI development. You have to infer it.

Anemia

One more little help, please. Can anyone write some little program which can insert, and read data from database in form of CUI. I mean some CREATE command, and something that looks like browse or something like that. Example in sports datatabase will be good enough., please .