cannot load qad_wkfl

it23

Please help: cannot load qad_wkfl

Hi all, I am using a very old version of MFG/PRO (7.4i) and Progress (8.3b).
I perform dump/load every 1 to 1.5 years without any problem.

This year, when I load the file qad_wkfl.bd into an empty database, the bi file size grow large than 2 GB (2,146,959,360) and got the error “Insufficient disk space to extend the before-image file. (854)”. Then the dump/load cannot proceed.
I can load tr_hist.bd (1,971,944,672) and trgl_hist.bd (1,529,995,393) into the database but not qad_wkfl.bd (1,529,691,361 which size is smaller than tr_hist.bd/trgl_hist.bd).

Please help.

cj_brandt

Re: Please help: cannot load qad_wkfl

Is the 2gb limit being reached while the binary load is running or when the indexes are being rebuilt ? If it is during the binary load, you might try using bulkload.

it23

The 2GB limit is reached while the binary load is running.

Please advise how to setup bulkload. Thanks.

cj_brandt

bulkload is an option for the proutil utility and it is covered by the database administration documents. The utility loads ASCII data instead of binary data and you could break the table load up into chunks. Once the load is complete, you still have to build the indexes. I would recommend practicing with the sports database a couple times to learn how the utility works.

If the database is important to your company, I'd look into upgrading your version.

it23

Is it possible to configure bulkload for the table qad_wkfl only and binary load for other tables ? Or should we use either bulkload or binary load for all tables ?

cj_brandt

You can use bulkload for 1 table and binary dump and load for the others.

Your .bi is reaching 2GB and is 8.3B. you can bulkload qad_wkfl, or you can load with -i option so it does'nt write to the bi.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon

-i does not prevent writes to the .bi, it only reduces them somewhat and changes the IO mode so that the bi file is unreliable if your system crashes.

You might want to also consider running your load process with the server running and a BIW and APWs helping out. And set the bi cluster size to something reasonable like 16384 before you start. Also set -bibufs to 100 or so.