Question Cannot Kill Batch Job

LarryD

RHEL OE10.2B08

We have a number of OE background processes running on the server.

We ran into a situation this morning (and have the same issue every once in a blue moon) where we cannot kill the job. Using various levels of kill (but not -9), the job just won't go away.

I then used promon to remove the user from the db, and it appears to have worked. However the batch job just wouldn't go away. I then had to reboot the server to get it to clean up.

My question is once the user is gone from the db and no longer showing in promon, would it be safe to use a kill -9 on the PID or are we still looking at potential disaster?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Once the user session is no longer displayed in promon 1 1 in all databases that it was connected to, killing the client process is "safe" in the sense that it won't harm your database application. Be sure to use that screen and not a proshut user list, as the latter does not show users that have been requested to disconnect but are still connected, e.g. because they are cleaning up, rolling back a transaction, etc.

The client may have been in a state (e.g. waiting on an I/O completion or some other OS routine) where it was not able to respond to signals when you were trying to kill it.

LarryD

Thanks Rob (esp on the heads up of using promon 1 1!). I thought as much but kill -9 has always been in the "never ever use it" category... too many horror stories.