Cannot create Secondary Broker in Multi-User Mode

ERPgal

I am dealing with a problem and based on what I read online and on this forum, I may need to create a secondary broker.

I tried this a number of times, a number of different ways and it failed.
I am new to Progress so I really don't know what I am doing :awink::lol:.

According to the documentation

Multi-user Mode

A database running in multi-user mode enables more than one user to access it simultaneously.A broker coordinates all the database requests from all the users using a single database. Forexample, the broker process locks the database to prevent any other broker or single-userprocess from opening it. Also, all users must request access from the broker to connect to thedatabase.

I tried the following commands:
  • proserve -db mfgsys -servergroup mfgsys_it.defaultconfiguration.odbcgroup -pf mfgsys.pf
  • proserve D:\Epicor\mfgsys_it\db\mfgsys.db -S 7150
I got this error message:
16:43:35 BROKER : This broker will terminate when session ends. (5405)
16:43:35 BROKER : ** The database D:\Epicor\mfgsys_it\db\mfgsys is in use in m
ulti-user mode. (276)
16:43:35 BROKER : ** This process terminated with exit code 1. (8619)

PS: I am realllllly trying to fix this problem: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?t=114499

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
For a secondary sql broker you need to make a second pf file with in there at least the following parameters:

-db (path to database same as tge primary pf file)
-H (Hostname)
-S (servicename of this broker different then first broker)
-N TCP
-Mpb (to set the maximum number of servers for this broker)
-ServerType SQL
-m3 (this means that this is a secondary broker).

If you start this broker (proserve -pf second pf file) after you start the first one then all should be fine.
All the other parameters form the primary pf file are inherrited.

A typical thing to Override/change on a secondary sql broker in OpenEdge 10.1B and higher is the -Ma parameter. This is typically set high for sql (in contrast to an ABL broker where this typically is set low).

Casper.