Can I speed up Idxbuild adding -bi parameter?

rrojo7229

Hi lads,

Someone knows could it bring some DB damages if I added -bi (disabling Before Image) at Proutil command?

proutil <dbname> -C idxbuild all -bi -TB 24 -TM 32 -B 1000 -SG 64

Progress 9.1E
Linux RedHat 3

Kind Regards,
rrojo7229

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That isn't what -bi does. "proutil dbname -C truncate bi -bi #" is used to change the bi cluster size.

You may be thinking of using -i which is the "no-integrity" parameter. It does not, however, "disable the bi file". It reduces the number of bi notes written and changes the "mode" of the IO used to the bi file in a manner that makes it faster but unreliable. If a bad thing that results in a db crash happens while -i is in effect then the database is hosed.

No-integrity is useful when the db can be easily restored from backup and the process restarted.

rrojo7229

Re: Can I speed up Idxbuild adding -i parameter?

Hi Tom,

Yeap, I made a confusion... You are right, I was refering about -i.

So, if at the end I see as Proutil idxbuild results:

Index rebuild complete. 0 error(s) encountered. (1644)

I don't have to be worried. Do I?

Kind Regards,
rrojo7229

rrojo7229

Hi Tom,

I am trying to improve the speed for idxbuild and my last turn was adding "-i" to try minimize the writing notes in the BI's, but this way below it was not show any alert message like "-i - no integrity" or something like that.

Am I making something wrong?

proutil package -C idxbuild -i -TB 24 -TM 32 -B 50000 -SG 64 -s 250 -T /data/billingc271 < idxbuild.inp2 | tee idxbuild2.prt

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
Ricardo Olguin