Can I put a Windows Me question here?

Samj

We've been developing our application in Progress 8.3B and installing on Windows NT and Windows Terminal Server with Win95, Win98 and nutshell clients without problem. We've even used Windows 2000 clients with only a few little problems. Hi all,

Lately we've been being shipped Progress 8.3D for our customer installations and we started experiencing problems with window focus. It started with dialog boxes not being realized on top of existing windows. It's quite annoying to have to go to the task bar and select this modal window before you can continue. Now we are getting laptops and PC's with Windows Me installed and we're sometimes having trouble going from window to window and having the called window receive focus. The user has to click on the window before keystrokes take affect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Found a work around? Had any luck dealing Microsoft or Progress on this issue? We've heard that other application environments are also having trouble with window focus and that Microsoft was unsympathetic.

Thanks in advance,

Sam Johnson
Professional Data Systems, Inc.
samj@pdsi.com

Luckily I havent had to expierence "Windows My Enemy" yet. Unfortunately these happy days are drawing to an end and my last source for windows 98 liscences has informed me he cant get them anymore.

I shall start experimenting with Windows ME and if i find any problems/solutions will let you know.

I would be interested if you can let me what exact commands seem to be causing the problems you are expierencing though.

Regards

Samj

Re:

We're in the same boat, our supplier is also telling us the same thing about windows OS availability.

Andrew,

We started with version 7.3 and continued through versions 8.0 to 8.3B and have always used the same code in regards calling new windows in response to user events.

Sample:

ON <event>:

Assign
WINDOW-1:HIDDEN = TRUE.
RUN <newpgmname.w>.
Assign
WINDOW-1:HIDDEN = FALSE.
APPLY "ENTRY" TO SELF.
RETURN NO-APPLY.

END.

The called window appears with focus on the widget indicated in the code of the called program and the user can continue working with either the keyboard or the mouse. When the user finishes and exits the called program the calling program window reappears and focus is wherever they left off.

With Windows Me, 'sometimes' the user has to use the mouse to click on the called program's window before keystrokes will take affect in the window. And, on exit of the called program, they again have to click on the redisplayed window to resume working in the calling program. 'Me' doesn't keep the focus within our application. Instead icons on either the desktop or the task bar receive focus. Say the user presses the 'Enter' key. Then a minimized window is restored from the task bar or a new application, or a second instance of our app if it was the last thing chosen from the desktop, is launched. It's very frustrating.

Hope that is clear enough,

Sam Johnson
samj@pdsi.com

Samj

Addendum

Hi all,

I was just informed that this problem 'does' exist in Windows 2000. Has anyone else experienced similar behavior?

TIA

Sam Johnson
samj@pdsi.com