Can anyone see if this code can be any quicker

RKR

Most likely that on this machine excel is opened, provided it is installed on this machine ;-) Otherwise you wil have to get the data you need for your excelsheet from the database to your client using temp-tables or datasets if you are using OpenEdge and then let the client do the work that is necessary.

Tonymanley

Yuk, Looks like PECAS still has not changed in the 6 years I have been away from it. Use indentation to make it readable!

compile using xref to check for the correct indexes as there are loads in PECAS (some used to be duplicated!). Using "of" can be hit or miss as to correct index, so "use-index" especially in PECAS.

RKR

When you compile a program you can compile it with the xref qualifier.

Syntax:
COMPILE program.p SAVE XREF c:\temp\program.xrf.

In the file program.xrf a Cross reference is written. The most important reason to use XREF is to check the use of indexes in your queries, finds, for eaches etc. (Only static). When you use Dynamic Queries you cannot use the xref. At runtime you can however use the INDEX-INFORMATION method of a dynamic query.

http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogre...=COMPILE+XREF+option&resultType=5000#Goto2120

tjsingh

cheers

I have finally got it working but have across another problem with excel data

I am using Progress V8.2C as this is what the erp system uses. I also have v9.1d but does not let me run it as the version of the db is v8.

I have a spreadsheet with a field with a number such as 4567324567 (which has 10 numbers) but when i import into a char field it brings it with decimal places and gives error 78 (interger value too large). I dont get this as the field is formatted to general.

I have noticed that when i do a string (int( value in row)) it changes the 4567324567 to 1567324567 (the 4 chanegs to 1 as its out of the range)

any ideas?

Cheers