Buffer Tuning

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Hi,

Can any one tell me what is meant by buffer tuning.

Thanks

It could be lots of things but, to me, the most likely possibility is that it refers to tuning the -B parameter. This is the parameter that controls the size of the database buffer cache and it is a fairly important thing to get right if you're concerned about performance.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So during programming how we can tune the buffer i.e how we can apply this. And is it static or dynamic.

Prasad

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

It doesn't have much to do with programming, its a database parameter.

Before tuning the database make sure your programs use proper indexes, most performance problems are caused by programs and not by improper database tuning.

The -B parameter is (still) a static parameter which you can only set before startup of your database.
There are lots of articles about tuning -B. Good starting point is to make -B as big as ~10% of your database size (YMMV). The units of -B are expressed in dbblocks (So -B of 1024 with an 8K blocksize database acounts for a buffer pool size of 8MB. The goal is to get a high enough buffer hit percentage. (Should be 95% and up and can be monitored with tools like promon or protop http://www.greenfieldtech.com/downloads/downloads.shtml).
There is lots more to tell about database tuning, look around here and at the peg for more threads on this.
A good starting point aswell are the top 10 performance tuning tips from Gus to tune the database, this is in the progress KB --> P19806.

HTH,

Casper.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
wss.com is the web site for White Star Software. White Star is a consulting services firm that has been serving the Progress community since 1985.

If you have visited the site that's great, hopefully you found something interesting and useful but there's nothing to "leave from there" -- just close your window.

White Star consultants participate in many online forums but there is no charge unless you wish to engage a consultant to help you out directly. In that case you would need to contact someone (like me) offline and we'd work with you to define the engagement and so forth.

ProgressTalk is a web forum that many people from many backgrounds related to Progress participate in. You can pay if you wish but it isn't required. A "sponsor" is someone who has chosen to pay. You might be getting e-mails from ProgressTalk related to threads that you have posted to. If you don't want those you can change preferences under the "User CP" link at the top of the page.