BROKER 0: No servers are available. Try again later. (1154)

Pavan Yadav

Hi,

We have following logs generated in my database :

BROKER 0: No servers are available. Try again later. (1154)

When i try to connect user from the same the same machine it is saying to increase -n.n dispalying following message:

The server or the system has no more resources. Try a larger -n. (748)

Though the database is up and running. We are using progress 9.1d on solaris 9.

any body having idea of possible reason? and solution ....

Thanks !

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You have more people trying to connect than you have configured connections. Review you -n, -Ma and -Mn parameters.

-n is not your license count. Acting like it is is the root cause of a lot of this sort of error.

Pavan Yadav

thanks for your reply !!!

WE are using following values for -n, Ma -Mn . It seems to be good .

BROKER 0: Maximum Number of Servers (-Mn): 8. (4258)
BROKER 0: Maximum Number of Clients Per Server (-Ma): 170. (4257)
BROKER 0: Minimum Clients Per Server (-Mi): 125. (4259)
BROKER 0: Maximum Number of Users (-n): 501. (4260)

and at that time -n was not consumed even 100 . This error caused after some remote data extarction script failed. Can this issue be related to broker?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Your settings are fairly odd. I would not call them "good".

-Mn is the number of servers. -Ma is the number of users per server. -Mi is the number of users on a server before a new server starts.

For good performance you do not want to crowd all of your users through a single server -- but that is what you are doing here.

For a system intending to support 500 remote users you would more typically use values like -Mn 100 -Ma 5 -Mi 1. (And I would always set -n to at least twice the number of users that I intend to support.)

That would permit up to 100 servers, each of which is shared by up to 5 users and a new server would be spawned for each of the first 100 users (so no sharing occurs until at least 100 users sign on).

As for the cause of the actual error -- if you are correct and there were less than 100 actual connections at that time then I don't see why you should have got that error. I'd have to look at the db logs to confirm that there were only 100 connections and to see if anything else was strange.

If were you I would change my startup parameters as I have indicated above. I wouldn't worry about this problem unless it re-occurs with the changed parameters.

BTW -- I am suspicious that those parameters are like a "canary in the coal mine". They suggest to me that you probably have other configuration issues that should be addressed and that you, or your company, might want to consider investing in some DBA training or get some consulting help. Of course I would think that ;)