Barcode printing issue

psujeeperman02

Hello,
Currently we use Okidata 320 model printers to print code 39 barcodes to labels we use for inventory.
We want to put more data in the barcode, but the barcode is getting too big for the label, and getting a bigger label is out of the question because of our inventory boxes being used.
I am fairly new to Progress programming, but in one of our label programs, I see a string like "20021110" which is the string that prints our barcodes to the Okidata printers which is what they recognize with the built-in barcode fonts.

I would like to move to code 128 barcodes. If the above is printing code 39 barcodes, what do I need to change in order to print code 128?

LarryD

Have you checked the Okidata web site for the manual(s) on what escape sequences to send to the printer for your specific model of printer?

In general, there are escape sequences that are sent to the printer to switch the fonts from/to barcodes. I did a quick google search and found several links to manuals that have the info I think you are looking for, but given that there were more than one version of the 320 was unsure which you might need.

Jeffery Dodds

Attachments

• printcodes.jpg
    printcodes.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 67

psujeeperman02

Thanks Jeffery.
From my understanding, Code 128 incorporates a checksum digit at the end of the output. Does this need to be calculated into the string as well?

If you can try editing the printer control file without blowing things up (in a controlled environment for experimentation) try this:

ESC DLE A n1=4 20021110

the ESC might need to be a special ESC character Alt+027 in windows
DLE is Alt+016

You'll need a good text edit that shows you all control codes to see these.

I'm trying to upload a pic.
http://www.overtheshoulderproductions.com/printcodes.jpg

http://my.okidata.com/man4410.nsf/3...d7ae1b1fafba0bfe852566e20049b970?OpenDocument

Jeffery Dodds

Your best bet is to print the label with the new barcode style and then scan it with a handheld scanner and see what it reads. You may have to add 1 or 01 to the end of your SKU, but often not. I believe for Code 128 you will need to know which Charset to use too.

I often get a sample label from one of our customers to match. Holding the two labels (or photocopies) one in front of the other with a light source behind will insure you're giving them a code their readers can handle. There are a lot of fiddly settings for some symbologies, but a lot of the more modern readers can interpret differences in the codes for you and give the end user what they are looking for, even if it's messed up a bit.

psujeeperman02

Jeffery,
I am not sure where to put the n1=4.
Here is the line that is in the barcode program uses.
Keep in mind this was created before I knew anything about Progress programming, and not that I am knowledgeable now, but I was put into this position when the original programmer left the company. :)
So any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

PUT UNFORMATTED chr(27) + chr(16) + "A" + chr(8) + "20021110".

If you can try editing the printer control file without blowing things up (in a controlled environment for experimentation) try this:

ESC DLE A n1=4 20021110

the ESC might need to be a special ESC character Alt+027 in windows
DLE is Alt+016

You'll need a good text edit that shows you all control codes to see these.

I'm trying to upload a pic.
http://www.overtheshoulderproductions.com/printcodes.jpg

http://my.okidata.com/man4410.nsf/3...d7ae1b1fafba0bfe852566e20049b970?OpenDocument

Jeffery Dodds

OK, if you are using a label program you'll have to edit the label design in that. Some common label programs are Loftware, Nice Label, BarTender, etc. That will be a lot easier.

If not, you will have a special text file that gets generated and set directly to the printer. It will look something like this; (don't try to use this one, as it is built for Intermec printers)

CPE1;F1;
P
E1
E1;F1;
H0;o420,10;c31;h2;w2;b0;d3,TAG#
H1;o420,55;c36;h2;w2;b0;d3,%tag_nbr%
H2;o20,220;c31;h2;w2;b0;d3,PART# %part_nbr%
H3;o20,300;c31;h2;w2;b0;d3,%part_desc%
H4;o485,595;c31;h2;w2;b0;d3,Quantity:
H5;o770,550;c36;h2;w2;b0;d3,%quantity% m
U6;o20,0;c0;w1;h1;
R
E1

You'll need a text editor, set to reveal all codes, to be able to read and edit the special characters that the printer uses as a command language. I use Notepad++ to edit my control files. My software program, built on top of Progress, fills in the codes like %tag_nbr% before the file gets sent to the printer.

You will either need access to the design format in a label program or to be able to edit the control file before you can do anything else.

Jeffery Dodds

Please Note: This website cannot display the special characters that printers use as control codes and interprets them as other text characters. You can't cut and paste the text shown into your control file.