bad performace after restore of backup

niklas

Hi!

I have a database with blocksize 8192. I made an online backup to save the db. After that I've deleted the db, restored the backup and started all servers. Now the performace is even worse than before. Any ideas?

/tia niklas

fpullen

A couple of questions come to mind:

First, why did you perform a backup, delete the database, then do a restore? I'm not sure this accomplishes anything, except as a rather drastic way to test whether you have a good backup.

Second, have you looked at disk fragmentation? It may be that your old database was less physically fragmented than your new one. Note I'm not talking about *database* fragmentation, just the physical fragmentation of the database files on your hard drive(s). This could explain why the database is slower than before.

If you really want to do a thorough job, depending on the size of your database, speed of your server, and other factors, you might do a full dump & load, loading the data into a newly-created partition. This ensures that both your physical disk and your database are both defragged.

You also could look at promon, to ascertain what your bottlenecks might be. That's usually a good first step. Depending on your OS, you might also try sar or various NT tools to figure out what the holdup is.

Any questions, just ask. I usually answer email support for free. :)

Take care,
--Fred Pullen