Resolved Backup and AI on Replicated Target DB

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi

I have a general tech query - is it possible.....

In a OE Replicated environment to run the backups from the target DB (I know I can do this). But if an all out fail happened in the middle of the day can you roll the target DB forward?

Or to put it another way do backups always need to be on the source DB?

Reason for asking target DB systems are quiet and have lots more available resource, this would save negative impact on source DB performance.

v 10.2B07.

Thanks in advance

Chris.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I'm not quite sure that I follow your question...

A -norecover backup of the target can certainly be restored. Are you then planning/hoping to roll forward after-image logs from the source db?

If so that's an interesting question and, offhand, I don't know the answer.

Why not test your scenario?

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
That answers that!

Hi

On 10.2b we can do a full online backup of the target without any adverse effect, I think previous versions you had to do a -norecover to stop the syncing breaking...

My question is purely about shifting the whole backup workload to the target server.

I'm not read up on OE replication in full -yet....

But my high level understanding is that ai is used to write to the target db, if all systems went bump then could I somehow replay the ai that was written on the target server after the last target backup.

Thanks as always gents

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
There is lots of action these days around backups and replication -- it is one of those topics that it really pays to be on the latest release and service pack. "They" are also listening for ideas related to these things -- a few well placed questions may do a world of good. Exchange is only a month away -- it wouldn't hurt to reinforce your ideas with a little person to person schmoozing ;)

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Thanks Tom.

It'll be a while til I'm in the market to to attend a US conference :(

I'll stay focused on an European event in the next couple of years tho.

Thanks

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That's ok PUG Challenge in Brussels is only a few more weeks after that. And, frankly, it's a better venue to talk to the right people anyway. Far fewer marketing droids to navigate through.