B2 parameters - Keep it or remove it?

Vinit Bot

If I have -B2 parameters specified in my start up parameters but there are no tables allocated for the alternate buffer -
-> How does this affect the memory allocation?
-> Can I remove -B2 start up parameters without any adverse effects?

I am using a version of 11.7.3 with Red Hat OS

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You are allocating memory that you are not using. Feel free to pull the chips and mail them to me. I can find a use for them :)

If you have no objects assigned to -B2 and do not anticipate adding any then, sure, remove it.

I like to assign the schema area to -B2. Since you should never have any user data in the schema area it should be relatively small and reasonably stable in size.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If I have -B2 parameters specified in my start up parameters but there are no tables allocated for the alternate buffer
Just to be picky... "no tables allocated" is not the same as "nothing allocated". It is possible to assign tables, indexes, LOBs, and storage areas to the ABP. You can see all of these assignments with a viewB2 report: proutil dbname -C viewB2 > dbname_b2.txt.
Then search the report for "Alternate".

Vinit Bot

You are allocating memory that you are not using. Feel free to pull the chips and mail them to me. I can find a use for them :)

If you have no objects assigned to -B2 and do not anticipate adding any then, sure, remove it.

I like to assign the schema area to -B2. Since you should never have any user data in the schema area it should be relatively small and reasonably stable in size.
Moving Schema area to -B2 sounds interesting. Apart from the below tables what other tables can be moved here?

_Field
_Index-Field
_File
_Index
_Sequence

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Everything that starts with "_" ;)

*IF* you have properly setup your database so that there are no user tables/indexes/lobs in the schema area then you can easily just assign the whole storage area all at once:

_proutil dbname -C enableb2 "Schema Area"

If, on the other hand, you still have user objects in the schema area then you should NOT do that and instead you should be working on a plan to migrate those tables/indexes/lobs to type 2 storage areas.