Arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh

Indeed

Correct.
Now that Progress have started to become huge (the organisation acquiring others) with the next Progress OpenEdge. The AppBuilder has been replaced with a new ADE tool to incorporate Eclipse merger. Noticed how Progress has now become Progress OpenEdge?? Since the release 10 - another merger of entities

Lord,

Just to clarify:

Open Edge is just a new name for the Progress development environment, particularly associated with the move to V10,

ie. essentially Open Edge = Progress V10. It's just a rebranding, not a new company or merger.

The Appbuilder hasn't been replaced, but development priority on it has been downgraded (although I defer to Casper here who has more information) presumably because it doesn't make business sense for Progress to compete with other Front End providers.

Eclipse is an 'open' development environment that several large and small companies and individuals are contributing towards. Progress are involved, with the hope that the software tools available through this project will take some of the work off them, and give Progress developers more Front End and integration options. There is no Eclipse 'merger'.

Progress is still a relative minnow.

Lee

lord_icon

Ha ha thud

Just to clarify:
Open Edge is just a new name for the Progress development environment, particularly associated with the move to V10,

RE: Just to clarify - you are incorrect. Open Edge is NOT just rebranding, the product is now called Progress OpenEdge. This were from an important merger of entities.
The new release of Progress >> V10, is Progress OpenEdge 10

Progress is still a relative minnow
RE: Though it is increasing all the time. It is acquiring organisations for PSCs strategic development. Hence data dynamics ...

lord_icon said:
Just to clarify:

RE: Just to clarify - you are incorrect. Open Edge is NOT just rebranding, the product is now called Progress OpenEdge.

Yes. This is what rebranding means.

[SIZE=-1](From Wikipedia)

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Rebranding (also called repositioning), is the process by which a product or service developed with one brand or company or product line affiliation is marketed or distributed with a different identity.

[/SIZE]

lord_icon said:
This were from an important merger of entities.

No it wasn't.

Open Edge is (essentialy) version 10 of Progress. It bears the same relation to v9 as v9 did to v8.

Ford did not merge with 'Focus'. It created a car called the Focus. Hence the 'Ford Focus'.

It's the same thing with Open Edge. OE is a product of the Progress Software company.

lord_icon said:
Progress is still a relative minnow
RE: Though it is increasing all the time. It is acquiring organisations for PSCs strategic development. Hence data dynamics ...

Yes, PSC is developing its product line, and buying companies up as you say. Joey posted information about this recently, on whether the strategy was a good one.

I don't know what data dynamics is though. Perhaps you mean Dynamics, which is a framework for developing applications in akin to ADM2.

Lee

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
:)
well, if we are nittpicking then it isn't Open Edge V10, but Open Edge R10.....

:D

Casper.

Nitpicking?

Correct terminology (I believe) is 'Progress OpenEdge' - as our Lord suggested.

No space, no version (although you are correct, the current version of Open Edge is Release 10).

It is confusing. But this has always been Progress marketing motto:

'By stealth, by obfuscation - onwards to obscurity'

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
lol,

Seems you are right....
But with the introduction of Open Edge much emphasis was put on the fact that it was Release 10 and not Version 10.
<grin>
love that marketing stuff...
</grin>

Casper

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Continuing the discussion a few posts back. I still have a lot of reading to catch up on, but from what I understand.

ProDataSets map to ADO.NET and in OE10.1A it would also support/map to Java's SDO ( funny coincidence ) and XML.

In OE10.1A procedures on an AppServer can be run from .NET or Java without proxies besides opening them as a web service.

So essentially you could open your business logic as API's and exchange data between a wide range of applications and front-ends. That's basically the front-end side of the OERA.

I'm also interested to read more about the Sonic integration.