AppServer & Base location changing

KubiaK

Ok... I'll try to explain you my current situation...

I have a copy of the sports database which is located on a Windows 2000 server. This server also includes a configured AppServer, using this database, that allows some remote procedures to be executed on it from other computers that are part of the network.

What should i consider and set up if i want to move the database on another server (an NT one) ? Should AppServer follow the base on the NT Server ? What elements should be added in the Progress Explorer Tool (for example, do i need another Name Server ?)

Thanks for your help

Kub

Hello Kub,

I would suggest you move the AppServer on the same server as your database(s). This is the best setup regarding performance issues.

I never seperated the database(s) and the appserver so I can't help you with your second question.

Good luck,
Henri

KubiaK

Thanks Henry. I knew about this advice, and i'm actually just wondering if it is possible to separate them as i'm trying to configure the Database with the Progress Explorer Tool and both UNC path and mapped network drive seem not to be allowed and recognized.

MurrayH

Yes it is but you will take a big performance hit as your AppServer will be doing a socket connection to the database instead of shared memory. (And I mean a BIG hit).

Murray

KubiaK

Murray -> And do you know how to proceed ? Does it mean that the database which will be hosted on my NT server could be started and stopped from the 2000 server ?

KubiaK

I have other questions then...

Connecting to my NT database from the Progress Explorer Tool (from my 2000 server) means that the Admin Service should be running on this NT Server.

What has to be done if not ? Does that mean that NT needs 9.1x to be installed on it ?

I've checked the services list on NT and didn't found Admin Service. When i try to connect to my NT server from the Progress Explorer Tool i get error 8336...

Hello again Kub,

I don't think Progress allows a remote database setup. As you experienced the Explorer tool (Admin service) needs a server. You can add a remote server but on that server the Admin service must be running (= Progress installation). This also explaines error 8336...

...if you install Progress on both machines you can start & stop your databases on the NT server from the 2000 server.
On the 2000 server add a server in the Explorer tool, select/enter the name of the NT server. Now you can administer your NT server.

On 2000 select the 2000 server in the Explorer tool. If you create an AppServer you can add your connect string. You could use something like this: -db database -S 546546 -H NTSERVER -N TCP