AppBuilder quirk when sellecting TEMP-TABLE Fields.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
OE 11.6
DB Sports2000

When using the AppBuilder to Define a Temp-Table under Procedure Setting --> Temp-table Maintenance, you have the option to include extra fields as part of the temp-table definition. These added fields can't be included in BROWSE field Selection.

Let me explain through pictures and wait till you get to the bottom. For my question.

STEP 1. Create a new standard Window.

1527232959919.png

STEP 2. Under the Procedure Setting for the Window, select Temp-Table Maintenance and select a table to create like i.e. Customers.

1527232969366.png

Step 3. Add some additional fields (See Below) and Check Syntax. I've named my temp-table ttCustomer.

1527233410110.png
1527233254083.png

Step 4. The add a BROWSE widget to your window and select your Temp-Table ttCustomer.

1527233463714.png

Step 5. Select the fields you would like. "BUT HANG ON A DAMN STINKING MINUET!" Where are my new fields I defined?

1527232990289.png

In the Code that the "AppBuilder" created. You, can see the fields are there? WHAT IS GOING ON?
Is this a known bug?? Has it always been like this? I'm I missing something?

1527233664374.png

Attachments

• 1527232981459.png
    1527232981459.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1527233320796.png
    1527233320796.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 5

Cecil

Cecil, although not perfect as they both have good and bad points, there are two possible solutions.

First option is add as a calculated field.

View attachment 1726
View attachment 1727
View attachment 1728
View attachment 1729

Second option is use the TEMP-DB Maintenance Utility:

Progress KB - How to create a DB for use with the TEMP-DB Maintenance Utility?
Hi, I just tried using a calculated field , but it won’t compile because With error 3474. (I will need to double check that error code).

Also, tried using the Temp-dB , but the temb-dB was not available to to select from. Might be using it wrong.

Osborne

I have never had a problem with the calculated field option, although only used it with standard data types. Ensure you use the table and the field name (ttCustomer.Access) and nothing else, and ensure you set a format in the column editor.

Tried using the TEMP-DB many years ago, but found it a bit of a hassle as you have to ensure it is connected and link somehow. Can't really help on this one.

Cecil

This is what happens when I try and save & compile which has a calculated field in the BROWSE.

1527285187719.png

Cecil

May have found a Solution:

BROWSE br_table:ADD-LIKE-COLUMN("ttCustomer.GUID").

But, I can't remember how to get the BROWSE to auto resize the columns so that they are pushed off the edge.

Apparently, "Auto-RESIZE" is not possible. :(

1527286774964.png

Last edited:

Osborne

The first error message says adm, so is it a SmartData Browse? If so, I do not know if the calculated field option works with a SmartData Browse as never used adm. However, your solution is a good one.

For resizing, I think the one you are looking for is FIT-LAST-COLUMN if available.

Cecil

I've skipped using the BROWSE br_table:ADD-LIKE-COLUMN("ttCustomer.GUID"). and gone back to basics. I'm now using variables for calculated fields and then used the ROW-DISPLAY trigger to assign values to the variables and now I don't need to worry about fitting in the last column.

Historically, I have used the ADM2 and had no problems using the calculated fields and that was in the combination of using the TEMP-DB to hold the Temp-table definitions.

But this is ADM1 (V8) .