Alternate BOM

shilpi

Hello,
i need more info abt having alternate BOMs setup in QAD. How will MRP handle alternate BOM. the issue I have is we have 2 approved vendor (A & B) for a part. If using vendor A then adapter A1 needs to be used and for vendor B adapter B1 needs to be used. Can this be done in Mfg/Pro.
please help
thanks

Hi
I had this issue before. Unfortunately, MRP does not take into consideration the source of the supply, just the supply itself. MRP is using the BOM code, specified in item Planning Maintenance (1.4.7) or in Item-Site Planning Maintenance (1.4.17), and does not check the alternate BOM. Any solution will be just a workaround and will require manual intervention. For example, you can include both items A1 and B1 into your standard product structure (in order not to forget). As a result, MRP will tell you to order both items, and the planner will have to decide, which one to order.
Hope it helps

32Soft Inc., an Official QAD Subcontractor
We Help Make the Most of your MFG/PRO Implementation!
To find more, please call 416-605-1830[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Henry Wu

Alternate BOM is normally fit for huge changes such as alternate routings or machinery changes that result in the using of different material.

When you have different vendors for the same part, alternate BOM is likely not required... Unless there is a big difference for the part. The quality, for instance, that make your final poroducts to a different level with different sale price. In this case, you may need to have both the different parts and the finished products. Otherwise, use the same part number and let your PO function to select the vendor.

Many companies have 2 or even more suppliers for most of their material. Let's suppose that they use 10 parts to make one of their products. How many BOMs required?

shilpi

the problem we have different vendors have different mounting instructions. even though its a minute difference, purchasing must be aware that if partA1 is purchased then Part A2 should be purchased to build item A and if A3 is purchased then A4 must be purchased instead of A2 to build A. Is there anyways MRP can handle this

Henry Wu

I see...

How about this one?

Part A
-Common subassembly
-Phantom Part 1
----Part A1
----Part A2
-Phantom Part 2
----Part A3
----Part A4

Apply portions/factors to these phantom parts according to your ordering policy or what ever your concern...