Answered After Image Management - automation failed?

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi

I've switched AI on on some test databases, as well as the AI Management.

I have 1 archival directory.
Archive Interval set to 900.

I activated it using probkup, which caused it to archive the first AI extent of each of my 5 db's, this was 3.21 to 3.27.

I then see all the a2 extents archived at 3.45 - brilliant its working.

Now its 4.20 and no more extents archived. :(

My impression from the docs is that every 15 minutes they should be archived no matter what?
The only thing I can think of is that the a3 extents are empty as nobody is using these db's and I'm not writing anything - is the manager this clever - the docs don't mention this.

10.2B07 64bit Windows 2012.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I just tested it in a DB with no transaction activity; the AIMD keeps cycling through the AI extents, transactions or no (see below). This is on 10.2B07, CentOS 6.3.

Run promon and see if the AIMD process is still connected to the DB in question, and check the DB log to see what it is doing.

Code:
AIMGT  5: (-----) Login by root.
AIMGT  5: (13194) The after-image manager is beginning.
AIMGT  5: (2518)  Started.
PROMON  6: (-----) Login by root.
PROMON  6: (453)  Logout by root on /dev/pts/0.
Usr    6: (452)  Login by root on /dev/pts/0.
Usr    6: (7129)  Usr 6 set name to Aiarchiver setinterval.
AIMGT  5: (13213) A new archive interval 120 has been set.
Usr    6: (13211) The after-image management daemon has been notified about the new archive interval.
Usr    6: (453)  Logout by Aiarchiver setinterval on /dev/pts/0.

AIMGT  5: (3777)  Switched to ai extent /u/db/sp/sports.a2.
AIMGT  5: (3778)  This is after-image file number 2 since the last AIMAGE BEGIN
AIMGT  5: (13231) From this point forward all after-image extents will be archived to /u/db/sp.
AIMGT  5: (13199) After-image extent /u/db/sp/sports.a1 has been copied to /u/db/sp/u~db~sp~sports.20130807.114417.00000001.sports.a1.
AIMGT  5: (3789)  Marked after-image extent /u/db/sp/sports.a1 EMPTY.

AIMGT  5: (3777)  Switched to ai extent /u/db/sp/sports.a3.
AIMGT  5: (3778)  This is after-image file number 3 since the last AIMAGE BEGIN
AIMGT  5: (13199) After-image extent /u/db/sp/sports.a2 has been copied to /u/db/sp/u~db~sp~sports.20130807.114417.00000002.sports.a2.
AIMGT  5: (3789)  Marked after-image extent /u/db/sp/sports.a2 EMPTY.

AIMGT  5: (3777)  Switched to ai extent /u/db/sp/sports.a4.
AIMGT  5: (3778)  This is after-image file number 4 since the last AIMAGE BEGIN
AIMGT  5: (13199) After-image extent /u/db/sp/sports.a3 has been copied to /u/db/sp/u~db~sp~sports.20130807.114417.00000003.sports.a3.
AIMGT  5: (3789)  Marked after-image extent /u/db/sp/sports.a3 EMPTY.

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi rob

Yes the process is still there. Theres 5 db's I've done all the same and none of them are working.

I set the 900 second interval in OpenEdge Explorer GUI, so I don't see a line like your

Code:
AIMGT  5: (13213) A new archive interval 120 has been set.

Further info looking in the .lg file, I initiated another backup at 15.45 so the automated archive hasn't worked.

I'm going to start it again using the proshut you showed me on the other post.

I'll reply with results tomorrow.

Theory is the interval parameter isn't being picked up!

Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
That line appears in my log because I manually changed the interval after proserve. I started the AI archiver with an interval of 900 seconds and, as I was testing, adjusted it with rfutil aiarchiver setinterval 120.

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Ok, so I think I have it now...

I ran probkup again with explicit interval and directory
Code:
proshut dbname -C aimgt -aiarcdir <dir-name> -aiarcinterval  <interval>
This worked as you would expect - although as you say the log file does not acknowledge the interval.

I have since this morning shutdown and restarted all 5 db's, and reassuringly the lg file states
Code:
BROKER  0: (13871) After-image Management Archival Method : Timed.
BROKER  0: (13872) After-image Management Archival Interval (-aiarcinterval) : 900.
BROKER  0: (13873) After-image Management Archival Directory List (-aiarcdir) : f:\data\testai\archive.
BROKER  0: (13874) Create After-image Management Archival Directory(s) (-aiarcdircreate) : Yes.
And it is working.

I didn't therefore yesterday get the behaviour I expected, I don't know whether the problem is me or whether it is a Progress bug.
I added my AI parameters via the GUI and saved the config on all 5 db's. I restarted the db's. I then enabled aimanagement without stating any extra parameters using probkup. This picked up the directory value but not the interval, therefore the timer part was not working.

Conclusion - state on command line when first initialising AI Mgt the parameters you want.

Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Ok, so I think I have it now...

I ran probkup again with explicit interval and directory
Code:
proshut dbname -C aimgt -aiarcdir <dir-name> -aiarcinterval  <interval>
This worked as you would expect - although as you say the log file does not acknowledge the interval.

That's proshut, not probkup. ;)