Adv. repetitive Vs Word order

prem kumar

Could someone throw light on this query?
What r the factors which decides whether one should go for the Adv. repetitive module or the normal Work order module while configurating the manufacturing environment in a MFG/PRO implementation.

Ray Man

Your question is sometimes arbitrary to answer. But in general:

1. Workorders are preferrred if you are producing goods in:
- exact quantities quantity (i.e 10 pieces)
- which need to be ready on a specific date (i.e due date 1-10-6)
- were a workorder number is required to track production and items
on the production floor
- etc ..

On the other hand repetitive manufacturing will help you if"
2. You are producing a certain amount of goods over a period
- general quantities are specified (i.e 10.000 pieces)
- a production period is specified (i.e. over a certain week)
- a workorder number is not needed, you report quantities produced
on the basis of a production line.
- etc..

I hope this helps.
Ray

dwjones

This is a decision that really needs to be analysed by an experienced consultant. It is absolutely crucial to how a business will work, and the wrong decision could be fatal. There are several factors to be taken into account:
  1. is production planned in batches or as a continual stream?
  2. are components issues as a kit or taken as needed from floor stock?
  3. is the same product manufactured more than once in any given month?
  4. how are material usage variances analysed (e.g. by product, by batch, by material, by work centre)?
  5. is the output yield from a production batch predictable?
  6. if a product design or BOM changes, when does that take effect?
Duncan Jones
Duncan Consulting Ltd

Ray Man

I do recognize the issues you are mentioning. To frighten users about talking "fatal decisions" is a bit to hard.
Mfg/pro is a very flexible system. Both options (orders or repetitive) can be evaluated within one (long) afternoon. I agree, an experienced consultant can help you very much. If you decide for one option and after a while you want to change, the system will give you the opportunity. This is not SAP were decisions made during the implementation will haunt you throughout the system life cycle!

dwjones

I hope I do frighten people who think they can implement cheaply by skimping on consultancy help. As they say, if you think education is expensive you should look at the cost of ignorance.

True, there are many things you can change later, but it will be very difficult. My current client is mainly MTO and is quite happy with Discrete WO but is just introducing a new MTS product line with a very different production process that would be a much better match to repetitive. Trying to manage this product line with the Discrete WO tools is causing real operational difficulties. A good point of MFG/PRO is that we can run both variants in parallel, but we're going to have to change a lot of setup, procedures and reports.

I hope you'd agree that it would be perverse to say 'let's try Discrete because we can always change to Repetetive if we dont like it"

Ray Man

I see that you are experienced and recognize the nuance. I agree with you that only "perverts" experiment in the production environment! It is best that the custumer with the guidance of a consultant find out what repetitive is (hands on). I wish you good luck and hope that you can help your customer.