Admin Server startup issue...

Faizul Hasan

hi,
When I am starting my Admin Server 10.2B it is giving an error saying "<username> is not authorized to start Admin Server". Can anyone help me please to come across this issue.. :(

RealHeavyDude

Which operating system are we talking about?
Where exactly do you get the error message?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Faizul Hasan

I am using Windows 7.. in the Proenv I typed 'proadsv -start -port 20931 -adminport 8832' and after cliking the Enter key this message is coming...

Stefan

See the installation manual. When installing you can choose to:

a. 'require a username and password'

and / or

b. 'enable group checking'

dbunda

I have this exact same problem, except I am running AIX. I have never seen this problem before, but then again this is an old system we don't use much anymore. My problem most likley stems from having to reinstall the AIX operating system after losing the root password. I did the upgrade to AIX 5.3L TL12 to get in to the box and of course that reboot required I shut everythign down. It was running right up until this process. Call me ignorant but I followed the AIX upgrade pasth not knowing it would wreak havoc on my set up. Or i did somethign wrong and got back to just a basic UNIX install setup. So I am piecing things back together and got stuck here with this error.

Starting Admin Server on port 7180...
This will take a moment...
OpenEdge Release 10.0B05 as of Sat Apr 15 03:44:54 EDT 2006
User dbunda is not authorized to start Admin Server
Validating startup of Admin Server...
AdminServer not alive. (8543)

It doesn't matter if I do this as root or with my login, I get the same error. I can't start Admin Server because I am not authorized. Not knowing if I overwrote or lost some important file, or need to reinstall Progress, I am hoping someone knows this error and what I need to tweak to get this to work.

RealHeavyDude

I can only second what Stefan said. Most likely during the original installation of OpenEdge you enabled group checking on the admin server and either the group does not exist after the re-installation of your OS or does not contain the correct users - even if you are root.

dbunda

Ooh. I was so excited at the possibility of this last reply. I didn't know about the option so i have been busily trying to get this to work. But I am failing still.
Here's what I tried an it's result:

# proadsv -start -admingroup system,adm,sys
User root is not authorized to start Admin Server

So I may be flirting with the right command now, but haven't got it to work yet. Maybe that is because I may have to go all the way back to a reinstall. But I am going to play with these groups a bit more, and ask someone with a similar machine what their group file looks like. Maybe i am just missing an entry or user for Progress perhaps? I could be close. Thanks for the ideas.

# cat /etc/group
system:!:0:root,esaadmin,dbunda
staff:!:1:ipsec,esaadmin,jodir
bin:!:2:root,bin
sys:!:3:root,bin,sys
adm:!:4:bin,adm
uucp:!:5:uucp,nuucp
mail:!:6:
security:!:7:root
cron:!:8:root
printq:!:9:lp
audit:!:10:root
ecs:!:28:
nobody:!:4294967294:nobody,lpd
usr:!:100:guest
perf:!:20:
shutdown:!:21:
lp:!:11:root,lp
invscout:!:12:invscout
snapp:!:13:snapp
ipsec:!:200:

Ooh. I was so excited at the possibility of this last reply. I didn't know about the option so i have been busily trying to get this to work. But I am failing still.
Here's what I tried an it's result:

# proadsv -start -admingroup system,adm,sys
User root is not authorized to start Admin Server

-admingroup parameter is list of users, not user's groups.

so you have to just change to
proadsv -start -admingroup root
if you start it under root user

dbunda

Latest try:

# proadsv -start -admingroup root
No valid groups in the group list

RealHeavyDude

I think you are missing the concept of this feature. The whole functionality works with groups defined on the OS level. I cannot speak for AIX as I am using Solaris but whatever group you are specifying with proadsv command must exist on the OS level in the first place. You might have re-installed AIX but most likely you did not re-create the group(s) which were configured for usage with the Admin Server when it was installed.

You should have a look into

dbunda

Yeah, I got the concept. I just can't figure out which "group" Progress wants to see or have me be in or use - since my group file was reset _ lost what it looked like. Figuring that the Progress installation (or perhaps even the business software we used) set up a special group or membership to make it work. I know I could do this as root or myself before, so it must have been some sort of administration type group, like adm or system, or something. What that is is what I am having trouble with. I'd really rather avoid reinstalling Progress unless I find out, you can do so without screweing anything else up. So finding out the group I need to set up, or need to put myself in, so it'll work is key. There are UNIX differences, I know, but for the most part they are all pretty similar where they have /etc/group or some equivalent.

Does anyone know of a group that was added for Progress? do you see it in your file? Or do you know which group you must be in that Progress is checking? This command line option -admingroup seems intriguing to me, as if I could specify which admingroup to use, But I specified the group i am in and it still says "root is not authorized to Start Admin Server".

RealHeavyDude

The groups are defined by the person who did the installation. AFAIK, when you choose the group checking then on Unix the proadsv script will be modified accordingly. But, as I never used this feature myself I am not 100% positive. The -admingroup parameter gives you the possibility to override this settings when you start the admin server. Therefore you should be able to create "your" group and specify it.