adding tables in existing database.

itpragmatic

Experts,

I am totally newbie in progress.
I have got few queries.
We have installed progress at both client side and developer's machine with both ODBC and JDBC drivers. We are using progress sql 92.
Right now we are able to access database using ODBC, JDBC and proenv at client's side. We are not able to access data administration, data dictionary and sql explorer tool as these tools have not been installed (at client side). Client is still able access the database through manufacturing process. I would like to know;
1) Even though if we do not have brokers, data administration, data dictionary and sql explorer tools how could we add tables in existing database?
2) Should we focus on .df files in this issue? (I have gone through .df files where I found few commands inside .df files which are used to execute queries.)
3) Does .st files play an important role while executing queries?
4) We are using windows xp and even though on my personal machine (developer's machine) I have installed all necessary tools like sql explorer tools, data administration and data dictionaries, I am not able to connect to the database. (Error in 'SQL Explorer: No connection (SQLMsg008)'.....java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError)
5) After searching about the above issue, I found that I have to use same user name and password which I have been using for the system. Therefore, I am running as an administrator via command prompt as we do not use Windows NT.

Therefore, I am seeking a solution to modify database and adding tables in the existing database via proenv command prompt.
I would appreciate your ideas/suggestions.

Best regards.

RealHeavyDude

You need to be aware of the fact that the Progress/OpenEdge database is not a SQL database in the first place - it just has some SQL capabilities, a SQL92 engine on the database. The natural way to talk to the database is the ABL engine. The ABL database schema is known to the SQL92 engine but you can not change it with it. Furthermore, any tables added via the SQL92 engine are not known by the ABL engine.

Another fact is that only with an ABL client you can access the database in single-user mode ( no database broker started ). Without starting a broker against the database you can't access it via SQL. Full stop. Furthermore, the SQL92 engine is not configured out-of-the-box - you need to configure it ( keyword secondary login broker ). Plus SQL security is not there as you might expect it unless you configure it ( keyword SYSPROGRESS ).

If you don't have a developer license you can't modify the ABL schema via the data dictionary tool and you can't load a .df file without the data administration tool either. The only thing I see that you can do is to batch load a .df. There is a knowledge base entry explaining that in detail. Unfortunately the Progress knowledge base is not accessible for me at the moment - therefore I can't provide you with the URL.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.