I need to add a new field and index to an existing table

Database is multi-user.
Table: Image
Field List: ImageID, Name
Index: Image_Idx (Primary, active, unique) Field: ImageID

I need to add:

New Field: NewImageID
New Index: NewImage_Idx (Active, Unique) Field: NewImageID

I created an incremental df to be applied programmatically.
ADD FIELD "NewImageID" ....

ADD INDEX "NewImage_Idx" ON "Image"
AREA "Schema Area"
PRIMARY
UNIQUE
INACTIVE
INDEX-FIELD "NewImageID" ASCENDING

Once I load the .df, I'd like to activate the new index "NewImage_Idx" by using PROUTIL IDXBUILD but it won't work because the db is multi-user. I'll appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You can make your schema change online but proutil idxbuild has to be run offline.

Also, you shouldn't be assigning storage objects to your schema area. This sets you up for later headaches and avoidable maintenance activities, and also forces your data into a Type I storage area, and ultimately reduces your database's performance potential.

You should have table storage areas for tables and index storage areas for indexes, and they should all be Type II.

RealHeavyDude

You don't tell anything about the Progress/OpenEdge version ...

Don't know exactly whether it was introduced with OpenEdge 10.0a, but as of 10.1c you can activate indexes online. See the proutil idxactivate command.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

LBaliao

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to activate the index in my program after I apply the schema change. I'll have to run the scheme change and proutil idxbuild separately.

You can make your schema change online but proutil idxbuild has to be run offline.

Also, you shouldn't be assigning storage objects to your schema area. This sets you up for later headaches and avoidable maintenance activities, and also forces your data into a Type I storage area, and ultimately reduces your database's performance potential.

You should have table storage areas for tables and index storage areas for indexes, and they should all be Type II.