Accessing the Symix dtabase and downloading

Denman

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I am looking for help. I need to access the database files from Symix and download them into some type of flat file so that we can load them up onto our Iseries. I am not familair with Unix or Symix at all so I am lolking for some very basic instruction on if and how this can be done. We might also be looking for someone that may be willing to do this for us for a fee.

If anyone can help please respond to me on this forum or privately via email.

Thanks You.

davjoh

This might point you in the right direction, or at least give you some ideas -

1. Print a report to show any triggers in each database – Open Procedure Editor > Tools > Data Dictionary > under Databases select ‘symix’ > from main menu select Database > Reports > Trigger > Print the report > the path and file name for the triggers is not long enough to display completely > go to each table/field listed on the report and fill in the rest of the file name > Repeat this process for each database.
2. Shut down all Syteline databases
3. Create directory to Unload files (you will need enough disk space for the size of the database; as of 10/12/05 it is just over 5GB)
4. Unload Files from the CDAL database
* From the Syteline Administration menu choose Admin > Run Syteline > Load/Unload > No Integrity
* Select CDALRUN.PF
* Click OK to Warning message
* Login
* Select Database > Unload Files
* Make sure SYMIX is highlighted and press Enter
* Make sure ALL is highlighted and press Enter
* Press F2
* For Data Path: enter the full path to the directory you created in step 2 (ie. C:\temp\dump) then press Enter **This will take a couple of hours to complete
5. Delete the multi-volume database CDAL, including the extensions
* From Windows Explorer navigate to the Syteline.db directory on the Syteline server
* Delete all files matching CDAL.Dn (where n is a number or a letter); bypass the Recycle Bin
* From Windows Explorer navigate to the Syteline.bi directory on the Syteline server
* Delete all files matching CDAL.Bn (where n is a number or a letter); bypass the Recycle Bin
6. Create a new multi-volume Progress database with the exact same name as the database from Step 4
* Start > Run > type CMD > click OK
* Change drive to D: (type d: then press Enter)
* Change directory to Syteline.db (type cd syteline.db then press Enter)
* Type prostrct create cdal cdal.st –blocksize 8192 then press Enter
* When finishd type exit then press Enter
7. Create a new empty Symix database
* From the Syteline Administration menu choose Admin > Create Databases > Single-Site
* Select Edit > Update > for Database Name: type TEST press Enter and make sure Source: is Empty then press F2 then select Edit > Process
* Click OK to Success window
* Select Quit > Quit
* Click OK to Information window
8. Copy the new empty database, TEST, into the new multi-volume database, CDAL
* Start > Run > type CMD > click OK
* Change drive to D: (type d: then press Enter)
* Change directory to Syteline.db (type cd syteline.db then press Enter)
* Type procopy test cdal then press Enter
* Type exit then press Enter
9. Load the “.d” files from Step 3 into CDAL.db
* Admin > Run Syteline > Load/Unload > No Integrity
* Select CDALRUN.PF
* Click OK to Warning message
* Login
* Select Database > Load Files
* Make sure SYMIX is highlighted and press Enter
* Make sure ALL is hightlighted and press Enter
* Press F2
* For Data Path: enter the full path to the directory you created in step 2 (ie. C:\temp\dump) then press Enter **This will take a few hours to complete
10. Delete the “.d” files from Step 8; bypass the Recycle Bin
* From Windows Explorer navigate to the directory you created in step 2 and delete all of the files