Answered Accessing Progress DB sent from a client.

Robert Perkins

I have client that is using Progress DB 9.1 and they have asked me to read the database. I purchased the Progress DB 9.1. I could not get it to install and run properly on any of my XP machines that were being used. I had to bring out an old pentium machine and install a fresh version of Windows XP on the machine, I then installed the product and tools no longer crash when I run them..

I can use the databases I need via the Data Adminstration tool and can dump some tables to text files. But there is one database that has only one table with any data that can be dumped and the tool won't let me dump to text because the column named 'DATA' is a binary column.

I've used the ProControl tool to connect to the three the databases I'm trying to read. I can connect to the server via the Progress Explorer tool but it doesn't 'see' any of the databases. It will let me create new ones but I cannot link any existing databases.

Ideally, I would like to use the MERANT 3.60 32-bit progress SQL91 v9.1D driver to create an ODBC connection to the database, so I can access these tables. Is there anyone in this forum that can explain to me how to do this?

Thank you.

cj_brandt

This is a common question so searching the forum or using a search engine should provide a lot of info.

The basics for accessing a database via SQL 92 are a port the database is listening on and a user with SQL rights.
proserve "dbname" -S 12345 should bring up the db with a listener on port 12345.

Does the database have users created in it ? If so look and see if a sysprogress user exists - sysprogress is similar to the sa account for Oracle. If you connect as the sysprogress account you won't have to grant rights before reading the tables, if you connect as a regular user then you'll have to grant read permission to the user.