_UserTableStat and OpenEdge Architect

KMoody

(I'm using OpenEdge 10.2b SP1 and OpenEdge Architect 10.2.1.07)

I looked up my name in _UserTableStat and found some surprising data.

When I started up OpenEdge Architect, my _UserTableStat-Read value was very high, even though I wasn't running any programs. Once I closed Architect, that value dropped. (That makes sense because closing Architect disconnects me from the database.) When I started OpenEdge Architect again, my _UserTableStat-Read value jumped again, even though I wasn't running anything.

Why would the _UserTableStat-Read value change when a user connects to a database without looking up any tables?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You would have to have started the database with -basetable < 1 to see schema table reads in the _*Stat data, as schema table numbers start at -1 and go down from there.

If you can read your data in _UserTableStat, you can join it to _File to determine the names of the tables that have high read values.

TheMadDBA

Are you actually witnessing the reads while the connection is taking place or just observing a new starting point?

Is it the exact same connection ID between sessions?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm not sure I understand the issue/question anymore. Have you joined _MyConnection to _UserTableStat to ensure you're looking at the CRUD data for your OE Architect AVM? Is it possible you're seeing someone else's CRUD stats?

Eclipse plug-ins may be another possibility. We've written some custom plug-ins for our developers, the end result being that a given OEA/PDSOE instance may have more than one connection to a given DB (4GL, SQL, or both). Can you see in promon/ProTop/_Connect whether the user in question is 4GL or SQL?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you know what table it is it seem like you ought to be able to figure out what is happening and why...

You could always enable the client statement cache and find out exactly what is driving the activity.