500 Internal Server Error w/Tomcat + WSA

Tarby777

Hi all,

I'm getting a lot of these "500 internal server error" messages back from Tomcat in my 10.2B app. The client is written in Sencha, and via Tomcat+WSA it runs code on a Progress Appserver. There seems to be no pattern to it... simple calls (not big, not containing any characters that might cause confusion...) sometimes work and sometimes don't.

Testing in SoapUI it seems that the calls always work, but the app itself is patchy. Using the browser tools show that the calls are well-structured... it's just as though the architecture is shaky in some way.

There's nothing of interest in the Tomcat or Appserver logs, but I have a few different messages in the WSA log:

• DISCONNECT IOException: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
  • Error in SOAP request execution: Communication layer message: General Error: READPACKET IOException : java.io.EOFException (null). (7175) (10926)
  • error deleting session reference = <session-000039|AppserverDC://129.100.0.4:7100/MobileApps>
  • com.progress.open4gl.Open4GLException: Disconnect failure: NULL. (7205)

Having Google'd / PKB'd and come to the conclusion that Tomcat's JVM might be running out of memory, I've added the following to my Tomcat environment:

initial memory pool 256m
max memory pool 1024m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

I'll log a call as there are some Progress error codes there, but I'm keen to hear whether anyone else gets this problem and/or sees these messages...

TIA
Tarby