10.2B Obsolete - how to encourage customers to upgrade

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Just so I can plan ahead, when will that line apply to 10.2B08?
The latest word I have heard is that 10.2B08 will be retired when 12.0 is released, around the end of 2018. Development timelines can shift of course, but it will be soon. Anyone on 10.x should be actively planning to upgrade to 11.7.x. They should also be looking a little further down the road and thinking about what they intend to do when 12.0 ships.

As Tom said, anyone on a release prior to 10.x is way past the point where they should have upgraded. It should be a top priority for them to upgrade if they can.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
OE 10 prior to 10.2b08 is there now.

In June I expect that I will consider all of oe10 to qualify as ancient, obsolete and unsupported.

Not quite criminally negligent if you are at least on 10.2b08 -- but getting there pretty quickly.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
This is becoming quite a tangent, but how heavily do you pressurise customers to upgrade? Do you just keep reminding them? Or are you more active than that?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I've split out the tangent in the interest of the OP getting value from his thread ;)

LarryD

To me, the biggest issue facing our customers that are on 10.2B08 is which version of OS's (in our case RH and Centos) are supported by 11.7.x. Upgrading OS's is not always a simple task.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
This is becoming quite a tangent, but how heavily do you pressurise customers to upgrade? Do you just keep reminding them? Or are you more active than that?
The pressure that I apply is internal to my company, to keep us on current releases, to examine and test new features. I don't "pressure" customers on version upgrades, though I do strongly recommend upgrades or service packs if they're vulnerable to a serious OE bug.

For my customers the pressures are two-fold. First, as our development moves forward and we take dependencies on new OE features, that means our minimum OE release for the current version of our software moves up. So when the client has a business need to upgrade to a newer version of our software, that almost invariably requires an OE upgrade as well. Second, in my industry (financial services), the clients have regulatory pressures, both keeping on a current, supported and patched OS (which means recent OE, certified on that OS) and staying on supported releases of third-party software, which applies to both our software and the products we bundle like OE.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I focus on specific issues that are relevant to that customer.

They aren’t hard to find when someone is 10 years behind the curve...