Answered New Forum

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Chris, whilst we're on the whole topic of spring cleaning and so on, would it be possible to tidy up the registered user list somehow? There were hundreds (if not thousands) of locked spam accounts on vBulletin which I think have all propagated across. Could you maybe trim these out and generally tidy things up?

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
We have about 1k users which are currently banned for posting spam. I'll go ahead and purge these. I hate to purge other users that took the time to register and have never posted yet, because they may want to post in the future.

Stefan

You could combine posted with last visited - if you have never posted and not visited in the last five years (1 year is fine by me too) I doubt you'll be coming back. And even if you do, you will have no idea if you had a user id or not.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I wouldn't suggest removing newly-registered members. But if someone registered more than say a year ago and has never posted, the chances that they are just lurking and will need their credentials to work in future are probably fairly slim. You could always e-mail such members and advise that if they don't log in within the next month their account will be removed.

If a user registered more than a year ago and never posted then they aren't losing much if their account is deleted. If you can correlate that list of users with their last login time, it should be fairly obvious which accounts are truly inactive.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
The "External Resource Feed" section is a wonderul addition !!!

Thanks! When I was posting some of the resources, I noticed a few with RSS feeds, which are very easy to consume and post here with links to the original content. I don't allow new threads or posts, so people won't be confused and try to answer those here, but will follow the link back to the source.

If anyone has any other Progress related RSS feeds that you would like to see added, just let me know!

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed - nice! Now you just need to get peg mails in an rss... ;-)

That is one of the main reasons I started ProgressTalk.com, almost 15 years ago now. PEG is a wonderful resource, I just detest the email list format and the fact that the information is not easily searchable.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Aren't sponsors supposed to have permission to post announcements? I'm pretty sure that PayPal processed my sponsorship subscription not too long ago...

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't sponsors supposed to have permission to post announcements? I'm pretty sure that PayPal processed my sponsorship subscription not too long ago...

Yes, you are certainly in the sponsor group, I double checked this a few days ago. Sponsor should have the ability to post announcements, so I'll check on those permissions right now.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member

dulecki

While trying to post this text, I got messages that there was a sneaky link, and that I should try to remove anything that looked like a URL. I was out of ideas of what might look like a URL...

Code:
Unfortunately, the d o t N e t U I has multiple home directories.  For telnet-type sessions, it is indeed the home directory of the user specified in User Option Telnet Maintenance.  With straight d o t N e t sessions, IIRC it is the home directory of the appserver instance.  This created a lot of fun for me in the past.

Changing how the d o t N e t U I behaves is not going to be easy or practical.  You'll be better off deciding on a means to put things in a directory that you define.

Good luck.

Posting it here to see if it works in a different forum.

*edit* Apparently, the phrase "d o t N e t UI" or ". N e t UI" is indicative of a sneaky link. Inserting extra spaces between the letters removes the sneakiness. Or something. I suggest more tolerance ;)

Cringer

Staff member
It's possible that it's because you're a new member. Once you're no longer one of those it might well be a lot easier. Chris posted the criteria somewhere IIRC...

dulecki

It's possible that it's because you're a new member. Once you're no longer one of those it might well be a lot easier. Chris posted the criteria somewhere IIRC...
New member?

Ahhh... I just got active on ProgressTalk recently, and I'll bet all my posts are hidden in that November-March black hole.

I'm curious as to why the phrase ". N e t" is considered a sneaky URL by the forum software. I wonder what other phrases are out there...

And I wonder if this post will go through with d o t N e t as part of it. *edit* Nope.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Which is a rather unfortunate omission if anyone is ever going to talk about UI!

I'll try .Net

No prob for me, so must be a newbie filter.

Cringer

Staff member
New member?

Ahhh... I just got active on ProgressTalk recently, and I'll bet all my posts are hidden in that November-March black hole.

I'm curious as to why the phrase ". N e t" is considered a sneaky URL by the forum software. I wonder what other phrases are out there...

And I wonder if this post will go through with d o t N e t as part of it. *edit* Nope.

lol yes I suspect it's because of the black hole! :)

For this HomePage URL Account Setting, before you can create content with links, you must first meet the minimum requirements

Minimum Requirements
The number of posts you have created must exceed: 4
The number of Likes you've received must exceed: 2
The number of days you have been registered must exceed: 4

I think these are still pertinent. You have 0 likes received... I will like your posts and you should be fine ;)