Question What linux flavor do you prefer for OE11.2

rguerrer

Hi everyone,

One more time come here for some advices, in your experience what linux flavor is the best o most recomended to work with new version OE 11.2, this is for a Data base server.

Have a nice day and thanks.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I've used Progress on CentOS, Red Hat, and SLES. They have minor functional differences in terms of package versions, software installation and updating, system setup, installation defaults, etc.

In practice these differences can be far overshadowed by the quality the sysadmin(s) who will install, configure, and maintain the OS. If you have a capable SA, any of these distros will serve as a good DB platform. If the SA is the type that accepts all of the OS installation defaults without question, doesn't do proper maintenance, says "Progress? Not my job to know about that", or just generally doesn't know what they're doing, then you're in trouble.

As far as OS versions are concerned, follow CJ's advice and check the v11 guide. It's updated several times per year.

RealHeavyDude

As far as I know the latest thinking is to use Ext3. Ext4 seems to be to new to use it as a file system for storing databases on it ( heard that from the Wizard a few weeks ago ). The recommendation therefore is to use Ext3 for database file systems. Nevertheless, you need to make sure that you chose the correct blocksize for the file system and the database for them to work together without a fuzz. Best is to have the same blocksize on both and it shoud be 8192.

On a personal note I can state that we do run databases on production systems with ZFS successfully as it was imposed on us. Nevertheless it was a very long hard road to get to perform reasonably well.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Pablo

Nevertheless, you need to make sure that you chose the correct blocksize for the file system and the database for them to work together without a fuzz. Best is to have the same blocksize on both and it shoud be 8192.

Yes, but this does not apply to the BI and AI block size. These sizes should be larger.
Am I right?
It is written in this thread :) progresstalk.com/threads/take-a-step-backwards-8k-block-back-to-4k-crazy-or-not.121821/#post-379193

RealHeavyDude

You are correct. Both, the BI and AI block size "can" be larger - and, IMHO, they should be set at 16 K ( 16384 ). But those are easy to change ( proutil truncate bi and rfutil aimage truncate, respectively ) when the database is offline, while the database blocksize can only be changed via dump & load.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.