unix db server survey

dancar

I'd like to collect a valid count of companies with unix servers in use instead of the ms solution.
With corp cio/cto (and most application vendors) following the "pied-piper" from redmond, how strong a solution is the unix os today?
Any interest in the survey?

Samj

Out of a little more than 60 installations we still have 4 unix customers. These are all legacy systems from when unix was our O/S of choice. Of those 4, 3 want to switch to NT in the near future and are just reluctant to cut loose of some cash to by another server and the client terminals to replace their Wyse terminals or they're waiting to get a T1 line available to them.

We've already converted a couple dozen of original unix installations to NT. We don't offer a unix version of our application anymore and the existing unix customers can't get the current release of our app until they do switch to NT.

Sam Johnson
Professional Data Systems, Inc.
samj@pdsi.com

U

Unregistered

Our company has clients on 2 unix servers switching to SQL 2000 servers. It seems that many folks like the stability and reliability of unix, but the fact is that MS has made their products much more stable and the product integration, support and tools are far more plentiful and sophisticated than what is available for Unix. I'd hate to see Unix fall to legacy status, but I'm noticing a trend. Unix is still rock solid, but its being pinned into a niche as just a stable data server, and todays GUI, web app world require more capability from its data server.

Perhaps linux will be the saving grace for our beloved unix. Red Hat is doing some cool things. The problem, however, is that the linux community is plagued by non-standards. We need standards and compliance so all linux dist work in a common similiar fashion and that apps and toolsets work and integrate easily among all dist of linux.

nalinu

Unix Vs NT

Unix any day if budgets are available. Unix solutions are expensive compared to NT.

But the fact that they run and run and run help you to reduce admin costs.

It would be a shame if unix goes down as a legacy system. We cant trust MS. I hope these postings are seen by Unix vendors and they do something about the cost of Unix solutions before they run of steam.

Given the right budget I will stick with Unix.

Nalin.