UIB-problems ... HELP!

janjansen

I am a graduat student and have a progress-test next week. However, I encountered some
problems preparing
for this course. I'm sure these are all stupid little things, but since there is no
written course
whatsoever and the progress-help function isn't too obvious, here are my problems. I
sincerely hope someone
can answer (part of) them:
1. How can you create an extra column in a browse (meaning that this column doesn't
represent a database
field) that, whenever a certain value in the browse is empty ("?"), displays a message.
2. When I mark menu-options as being "toggle-box", they can be checked, but they aren't
automatically
unchecked when another selection is made. Can this only be solved by adding code?
3. How can I (slightly) widen columns of a browse?
4. When you use the alphabet-control panel to modify the content of a browse, how are you
supposed to create
the link between the control and the browse (using "filter-value").
5. How can I determine which fields should be listed in a Smart Option-panel (sort-by)?

I repeat, I'm an absolute beginner so show some mercy and HELP ME!!!

For anyone who bothers: my ethernal thanks ...

tdi

Progress Fan
For the first question.

Define VAR x like <whatever youlike or need>.

Then on the browse property window go to fields, and then choose Calculated fields down the list of fields, on expresion:
<expresion> @ x.

Voila.

Octavio Olguin.

tdi

Progress Fan
i have to repost cause the code went abroad...

For the first question.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">code:</font><HR><pre>Define VAR x like <whatever you need or want>.
[/code]

Then on the browse property window go to fields, and then choose Calculated fields down the list of fields, on expresion:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">code:</font><HR><pre>
<expresion> @ x. [/code]

Voila.

Octavio Olguin.

tdi

Progress Fan
damn...
redface.gif

it happened again, i will change the simbols (Chris, would you kill the 2 bad posts?)

define var x like <FONT COLOR="Red">whatever you want or need"</FONT c> no-undo.
[/code]

With this, you create the place holder (certainly it doesn't come from DB)

the on properties of the browse, go to fields and choose Calculated fields (down the field list) and make something like this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">code:</font><HR><pre> <FONT COLOR="red">expression</FONT c> @ x [/code]

then on the row-display put some like this
IF table.field = ? then
display "*Value not set*" @ x with browse {&browse-name}.
[/code].

I use this too.

I even change the background color to emphasize the status of the row...