Error SYSTEM ERROR: stkpush: stack overflow. Increase the -s parameter. (279)

jmac13

Hi All,

This error is on a system that has 10.1c on it.

I've tried to look on the knowledge base but couldnt find anything to what this error means. I've always thought it was to do with process taking up to much meory then dying. e.g. spawning off to many persistent procedures.

Is this right?

Also at the time the error happen on the customers system I was add a new table (yes to a live system :( ) but doing this through Data Admin with the Add online objects ticked.

Thanks

Osborne

From a very old kbase it says the following:
Progress uses the stack (-s startup parameter) in the following situations:

-The first time schema is read into memory it is placed on the stack.
-While compiling expressions they are placed on the stack until later placed in the compiled (.r) code.
-All frame information is placed on the stack.
-Arguments that are passed to procedures are placed on the stack.
-Names of procedures are place on the stack.
-When displaying data or constants, they are placed on the stack for evaluation.
-Complex statements are placed on the stack.

CORRECTIVE MEASURES:
===================
Increase stack space (PROGRESS -s startup parameter) if you are not at the maximum value (31k).
However, this kbase is dated 1990 so could be way out of date, but as you have discovered there appears very little information available.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Your present value for -s, whether it is the default value of 40 KB or a value you have specified, isn't enough for your needs. Add -s to your parameter list if it isn't there already and specify a larger value than you currently use. Try doubling it; it isn't a lot of memory, even if this is a terminal server with lots of users.

jmac13

Well this only happen once.. I'd expect to be happening all the time if it was about memory. I was wondering if me doing a online change to the DB at the same time had any effect?

It seem to happen to lots of users at the same time.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Oh just seen - adding a new table.
I'm going to move this to the DBA forum as it's likely not a coincidence it happened at the same time.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well this only happen once.. I'd expect to be happening all the time if it was about memory.

In as much as the stack is a memory-resident data structure on the client, it is about memory. You've consumed all the space that was allocated for that structure and it has a hard limit; it can't increase on demand like -l or -mmax. Are you opposed to increasing -s?

jmac13

not opposed.. just not anything we've set before and haven't needed to. Plus I'm always wary of chaining params just incase it leads to other things happening.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I typically set -s on one of my applications to 200 KB. I've learned over time that with less than that, a client will eventually run code that blows the stack. I haven't seen any related problems from increasing it. 200 KB is a very small amount of memory these days.