Answered € Stored As ? In Database

Kalan

Hi Everyone,

OE 10.2B - when I enter €(euro) symbol in text field, it stored as ? in database. By looking into KB it something to do with codepage. But I have no idea to check current code page and convert into right one. Could you pls suggest on this?

Thanks.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
To solve a problem like this, and really understand the solution, you need to educate yourself about code pages and their use in OpenEdge. Getting it wrong can lead to data corruption.

Admittedly, it's a big subject. Start at the beginning, in the Installation and Configuration manual. When you install OpenEdge on a machine, part of the installation process involves selecting localization features like language, code page, number format, collation, etc. You will find those settings in the file startup.pf in the DLC directory.

Next, read about the -cp* client and broker startup parameters in the Startup Command and Parameter Reference manual. There is also code page info in the Database Administration, Internationalizing Applications, and ABL Reference manuals, among others. As this subject applies generally in software and not just OpenEdge, you can find information on localization and internationalization and code pages in a lot of other places on the web too. This site might help: Internationalization (I18n), Localization (L10n), Standards, and Amusements.

OpenEdge supports the use of many different code pages in OpenEdge for clients and for servers, and allows programmatic conversions between some of them, where possible, via a file called convmap.cp. Search for that in the KB and you'll get lots of hits. Different code pages support different sets of graphical code points and represent them internally in different ways; not all code pages support all characters. For example, the commonly-used ISO8859-1 code page does not have a code point for the Euro symbol. Others, like ISO8859-15 and UTF-8 do.